Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty elementary but is the cowl tag and the protect-o-plate the same thing? If not, where is the protect-o-plate on a 72 Chevelle. Also, how do you post all those cute little happy faces...
Anne

------------------
----------
Anne
genx member (NM)
www.thuntek.net/annes/chevy
[email protected]

·
Registered
421 Posts
http://www.chevelles.com/forum/faq.html#smilies for the oh so adorable faces.

BTW according to those repair bills, your Aunt drove like the child of Jonh Force and Richard Petty... almost every single bill has R&R brake lines, pads, shoes and drums.

The cowl tag and the POP are not quite the same. They both have the same information on them, the the POP was issued by the dealer and is usualy found boping around with the owners manual.

------------------
Francis Taracido Gold# 201 :)
[email protected]
History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of man.
Oh No! You Know She's Got To Go!
Go Go Quadzilla!
members.aol.com/sniper0666/page/index.html

·
Premium Member
2,393 Posts
The P-O-P resembled a credit card. The card was punched by the dealer with the original owners name. Used when the car was brought in for service. As Quad said usually kept with owners manual and usually long gone

------------------
Rick Schaefer
72 El Camino
TPI 350/700r4
Aces #00140
TEAM CHEVELLE #00038
NCOA #16197

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Everthing you always wanted to know about the Protect-O-Plate and then some!

The cowl tag was afixed to the body by The Fisher Body Division to help identify the way the body was built, it includes the year, model, body production sequenc number, trim materials, paint etc, untill 1969 it also included options.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>The Chevrolet Protect-O-Plate furnished with all vehicles is imprinted at the plant with identifying information covering the majority of standard and RPO (regular production option) equipment. The exact type of engine, transmission, and rear axle with which a vehicle is equipped may be obtained from the plate, as well as exterior color, month of vehicle production and basic vehicle information. All passenger cars have interior trim information and all passenger models except Corvette include information on major extra cost RPO equipment.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

All the dealer did was imprint the owners name. It was usually attached to the warranty booklet with adhesive. Most people kept these because thier names were on them and they did not want them to get into other people hands. It was possible for dealers to issue new cards if the car was resold during warranty period but seldom done after that.

Most of this info is from Chevy parts catalog and a 1970 factory Chevelle assembly manual. 1965 was th first year, 1965-67 POP are similar, 66-68 similar, 69-72 similar. They discontinued them for 1973. There were subtle changes in these time periods.

The assembly manuals have info on the POP in the UPC section 0; page B3 of the 70 manual.

[This message has been edited by elcamino (edited 08-08-99).]

·
Super Moderator
12,695 Posts
I wonder how many dealers kept the protecto plates, maybe in a customer file ??? I bought my 71 new in Aug 1971, and have every bit of paperwork having to do with the car since then. I do not have a protecto plate, and never did as far as I can remember. The car was never taken back for any warranty work so I dont know if maybe I had taken it back, the dealer had it in thier files to use with warranty claims ?
Could be interesting to try and find out. The dealer is still in business under the same family ownership, wonder if they kept record back that far ? Hmmmm, might be a project for Monday morning, like I don't have enough to do.

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
Team Chevelle #100

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
Protect-o-plates are great if you have 'em.

Since my father bought his (now mine) 1970 Malibu new I have all the original paper work and the Protect-o-plate.

Maybe to clear some things up...

The actual plate was glued to a long "birthday card" that had warranty info about your [then]new car. The card was affixed to the top cover allowing it to be viewed (or rolled thru I credit-card type machine?)without having to open the booklet.

I think I'll scan mine sometime.

By right, if you bought a Chevelle new, the dealer should have given it to you no questions asked--because it was technically apart of your warranty packett. I also have to original dealer given build sheet since the car was ordered from the factory.

[This message has been edited by Coppertop (edited 08-08-99).]

L

·
0 Posts
Protect-o-Plates come in handy. Especially for 69 and up cars. My 69's build sheet is long gone so it's difficult to say with 100 percent accuracy that's it's an SS. But the original owner's P-O-P (thank you Mr. Simmons of Dayton, OH) shows that the drivetrain consisted of a 396/350, M-21, and 3.73 12-bolt posi...so I'm fairly certain that's it's a for real Super Sport. Not as good as the B-sheet, but good enough.

One more thing no one mentioned yet, it's pretty in reverse...you have to look at in a mirror to read it correctly.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Larry,

I like your reminder to read the POP by holding it up to a mirror. One night I decided to record and check what was on my POP. I was sitting at the kitchen table with tracing paper and a pencil. My wife ask me what I was doing. When I told her she said, "Why don't you just hold it up to the mirror?"

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.