Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I may be overthinking this but I am wondering what's the best way to store a set of wheels. I plan on selling my chevelle but not with the current wheels it has on right now. I wanted to keep them because I plan on getting another chevelle sometime later but not really sure when. So I was thinking to actually get the tires dismounted from the rim and put them in storage. Just wondering what you guys think, is this to much or overkill? Should I just keep the tires mounted on the rim and stack the wheels? And again I'm thinking long term because I don't know when I'm planning on picking up another chevelle. Any suggestions would help, thanks.

·
Premium Member
9,036 Posts
When I have extra wheels with good tires on them I just leave them mounted and store them stacked.Why pay to dismount the tires now ? when you buy new tires they will remove them fast enough then for you.Plus,you never know when you'll need some tires to make a car a roller again ?
Stack the tires then add a piece of plywood and then you have a place to store some parts in boxes on.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Over on Garage Journal there are multiple threads about storing tires. Lots of styles of home made racks as well as store bought. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Try and store them in a dark cool area.

Reactions: Steve R

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
I think it depends on what kind of wheels they are.
I stored a set of Cragar SS wheels and BFG tires from my Elky for an extended period.
When I went to get them, the wheels had rusted pretty bad.
Even the center caps were rusted.
They cleaned up pretty good, but, once that rust starts, it's almost impossible to completely get rid of it.

·
Registered
1971 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu
7,416 Posts
My wife once told me why don't you just sell those rims with the car because your always looking for something else to put them on. :noway: That said I wouldn't dismount them either. I wouldn't store them in a shed where it can get real hot in the summer or damp at other times of the year. I get a wood skid and stack them on it down in the basement and sometimes put a piece of plywood over the top of them to have a place to put other things. :thumbsup:

P.S. This time my wife's idea will come true. The wheels that came on my car I sold and the one's I bought for it are on the car. She will even be able to sell the car with them because this car will be with me till the end. I'm getting to old to work on cars for myself.

·
Premium Member
12,716 Posts
I am with Hank on this one. Tires have a shelf life. I believe it is somewhere around 6 years. That is not 6 years of storage but 6 years.from date of manufacture. At some point after that time they can and eventually will be unsafe to drive on. Storing wheels is a little easier but your tastes may change. They could be "popular" wheels right now and yesterday's news when you buy another car. Or they may not even fit another car if you decide to go with something other than a Chevelle.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
You could also spray a good coat of WD-40 on the front and back of the wheels to help prevent any rust. It will wash right off when you are ready to use them again.

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
What are the tires? How long do you think you will keep them in storage? If the tires are a soft compound drag tire just sell them.

Steve R

1 - 12 of 12 Posts