Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a 68 SS car. I have a new US230 radio with an under dash speaker (dual core) that I need to mount correctly. I am unsure how to mount this speaker under the center slotted opening in the top of the dash. I do not have the original mount bracket. Should the face surface of the speaker be solidly mounted to the underside of the dash metal itself or is it best to not have the speaker touch the top at all and mount it so there is a gap between the speaker and dash metal? I guess Ill need to fabricate a mount bracket unless someone knows where to get a suitable bracket?
Thanks
Wallydog

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Ideally you want whatever sound that emanates from the backside of the speaker to have a long path before it can get to the sound emanating from the front side of the speaker.

When a speaker is being held in your hand or just laying there by itself, it can reproduce sound but not all of the lower mid-range and bass is being reproduced loudly. Yes, the speaker cone is moving in and out trying to reproduce those sounds but since there is no baffle to slow down or stop the sound from the backside from shorting out what is being made from the front side of the speaker, the lower mid-range and bass sound levels are reduced.

By creating a baffle or wall extending out in all directions around the edge of the speaker the speaker then can more easily reproduce the lower mid-range and bass signals. So with that said, you need to have the edge of the speaker sealed against a baffle or the underside of the dash to maximize it's lower mid-range and bass output.

Think of sealing a speaker to a baffle like running an engine with piston rings. They both run better. A speaker just sitting there trying to reproduce sound is like an engine with no rings in that the speaker and an engine will work and run but poorly.

Granted a 4x10 was designed to fit in a particular spot in a lot of GM vehicles and it was never designed to do a lot of bass or lower mid-range but the better you can get the speaker to perform, the better it should sound.

Jim

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We shall see. I went ahead and mounted it so the speaker is mounted tight against the top slotted sheet metal. I hot glued some nylon mesh (like for a screen door) over the slotted area and then mounted the speaker so it kind of looks black from outside the car and hides the speaker some. The dash is coming along pretty well. Im almost ready to mount up the instruments and mount the dash panel in place. New wiring in place from AAW but its still intimidating doing a completely new dash. Slow and deliberate....

Wallydog

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ideally you want whatever sound that emanates from the backside of the speaker to have a long path before it can get to the sound emanating from the front side of the speaker.

When a speaker is being held in your hand or just laying there by itself, it can reproduce sound but not all of the lower mid-range and bass is being reproduced loudly. Yes, the speaker cone is moving in and out trying to reproduce those sounds but since there is no baffle to slow down or stop the sound from the backside from shorting out what is being made from the front side of the speaker, the lower mid-range and bass sound levels are reduced.

By creating a baffle or wall extending out in all directions around the edge of the speaker the speaker then can more easily reproduce the lower mid-range and bass signals. So with that said, you need to have the edge of the speaker sealed against a baffle or the underside of the dash to maximize it's lower mid-range and bass output.

Think of sealing a speaker to a baffle like running an engine with piston rings. They both run better. A speaker just sitting there trying to reproduce sound is like an engine with no rings in that the speaker and an engine will work and run but poorly.

Granted a 4x10 was designed to fit in a particular spot in a lot of GM vehicles and it was never designed to do a lot of bass or lower mid-range but the better you can get the speaker to perform, the better it should sound.

Jim
Thanks for the info Jim. I know audio has some weird rules. The double cone speaker I put in has a hard plastic black trim thats raised above the speaker frame. I pressed that against some black nylon mesh and mounted it tight to the slotted sheet metal. I was/am afraid of a buzz however. I called a guy here and he said mount it flush against the sheet metal to make the speaker fast and firm. Loose is a no no he says.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts