Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
14,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy told me I should go propane b/c its MUCH cheaper. I would think if thats the case everybody would be using it. Since were also getting a pool with a heater, this is something I need to look into. I'm going to replace my boiler soon, so now would be the time.

Any comments/experience?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Natual gas in a lot cheaper in Michigan. I heat my house with natural gas with the thermostat on 70 degrees. I heat the cabin in Northern Michigan with Propane with the thermostat on 55 degrees. Unless we are there, which is about two weekends a month, then it's heated to 70 degrees.

It cost me as much to heat the cabin as it takes to heat the house, and the cabin is about 2/3 the size. The outside temperature is also a few degrees colder most of the time, where the cabin is.

·
Registered
7,044 Posts
You need to find out what different heating methods cost in your area.

Natural gas is much cheaper than LP gas around my area.

Same thing around here, people think LP is much cheaper but it isn't when you look at the numbers.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
NG is cheaper in my area also and you burn less NG than LP. The pressure is measured in inches of water column by a manometer. NG pressure is 3.5" w.c. and LP is set to 11.0" of w.c. to achieve the same temperature rise. And you don't have to have a big ugly tank in your yard that needs to be refilled every three months.

·
Premium Member
4,811 Posts
I use propane. I have a 1000 gallon tank buried outside. I own the tank though, so I can get the propane from any company I choose. I also get it cheaper because I own the tank. Same company delivers to me and my neighbor. When he paid $2.29/gallon, I paid $1.54/gallon last week.

·
Registered
684 Posts
NG is cost less that propane in my area but not by much. However with rising fuel costs I have heard NG is costing about the same. Plus the utility company charges you for up-keep even if it is not in your area. I own my tank and my propane is on a route delivery so I pay the same amount every month. Then new costs are assest at the yearly mark for the propane price increase or this year decrease. I have to use propane but if I had a choice I'd go with NG...

Look into an electric heater for your pool...

·
Gold Founding Member
64,411 Posts
And to convert one to the other, you will probably need to change jets...

Had to when we used a trailer propane kitchen stove in our house that was on NG later on..

pdq67
Carburetors have jets, heating appliances have orifices.
There is more involved in converting fuel types than just changing the orifices in heating appliances which are different than most kitchen stoves.

·
Premium Member
4,811 Posts
LP can kiss my *** !! I'm spending around $375.00 a month to heat my home. where i live, its either LP or electric heat :(

??? You are in Mississippi? Isn't it like 50 to 60 degrees during the day down there this time of year? I don't pay even 1/2 that a month to heat my home up here in the coldest month of the year when it dips into the single digit temps.
What the heck are they charging you per gallon of propane down there?

·
Registered
15,842 Posts
I burn LP, and it costs me about $800 a YEAR, in Minnesota to heat my house. :hurray: (granted it's not a big house, and it's only a few years old)

I like the fact I can pay it all at once in mid-summer (when prices are cheapest) and not have any gas bills all year. :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.