Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys been watching infomercials on these products, Dad always said "if its too good to be true it probably is"
Has anyone had either experience or thoughts on this? I have a lot of respect for Smokey Yunick and Al Unser but I cannot believe a car can run without oil or water. (or not very long)
thanks for your input

[email protected]
66 El-Camino
St.Louis Mo

·
Registered
28 Posts
If Smokey and Al would give me their paychecks for Prolong and Duralube I would tell you that it would! Since they will not, try Motor Up... You call a 1 800 # and they will give you some FREE! Drain all the oil out of your car and put this in. Leave a half pint in, or drain it, your choice. Then when your engine is toast, call Motor Up, Smokey or Prolong, or Al and Duralube and tell them to rebuild your motor. If they won't it does not work!

[This message has been edited by Radd (edited 07-01-99).]

·
Registered
283 Posts
Ya,it's real Hocus Pocus.We don't need it yet there is still plenty of dead dinosouar juice around.
Harley

·
Registered
326 Posts
I tried Prolong just for the heck of it. Here is my experience.

327, mild cam, Electric Fan using Modil 1 synthetic will the Prolong. Usually runs at 200 degrees.

I was driving to a friends house and a short while before getting to his house (less than 1/4 mile) I floored it for a few seconds then let off. Little did I know, I threw a belt. I parked at his house and went inside. 4 or 5 hours later when I left, the car was stone cold. It was close to 12am. I live near the beach in Southern California, so the outside temp was in the 50's.

I left the house and I checked my auto meter gauges (that night it saved me). Water temp was stone cold and I had good oil pressure. I drove down the street and I saw the temp needle rising, fast. I was a little confused. The temp hit 120, 140, 160, 180, 200. And I was just down the street. My electric turns on at 170 and I still had oil pressure. I was confused. few seconds later I was at 220, then 240. I pulled over and shut it off imediately after seeing 240. I was still just down the street. I have never seen the temp rise so fast.

I looked under my hood, it was dark. I couldn't see anything. No leaks, I had oil. So what gives? Called my friend and asked if I could stay there until morning, then I could figure out what happend. I couldn't see that the belt was gone, too dark. So I left the hood cracked open, turned the heater and the electric fan on and went back to his house.

Then next morning I saw that I lost the belt. So the water pump wasn't spinning. So much for Prolong.

In the infomercial they drove a Viper on a race track in the desert. NO OIL, NO COOLANT. Well I had Synthetic oil, an electric fan and it was 50 degrees outside at the beach. SO what gives?

I wrote to Prolong, soon after this experience. I got no response.

If this stuff really worked you would hear it from a lot more people than just Unser and Yunick. Everyone would be talking about it and everyone would use it.

[This message has been edited by David Nafarrete (edited 07-03-99).]

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
I was in an oil info site and they shot down these additives.probaly has good and bad points.as for draining the oil and driving around the track,Im not gonna try it. 67rat member #199

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.