Team Chevelle banner

101 - 120 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
I'm planning on doing basically the same thing with a mild 532 and a 273 gear. I would get a good convertor designed for your particular combination but I would bet money it runs easy 11s. We had a 700 hp 505 on radial drag tires with a 308 that ran 10.70s at 130 20 years ago
The 532 sounds like a cool project. Thanks for the vote of confidence.

What converter behind the 505? What tires? What weight?

·
Premium Member
3,087 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I’m sorta getting cold feet about the QuadraJet, and balancing what I want in a cruiser and track performance. The Holley is a reliable mixer at this horsepower level, and sorting out a suitable fuel system to keep the carb happy on the track and street isn’t rocket science.

The main goal is a street car that can run to 11s with stock converter and 2.56 gears, and do so on hard street tires. The closer to 11.50, the better. The second goal is a “stock appearing” build.

Everything takes time, and this probably won’t be a drop it in and run 11s deal without a learning curve, both to get it off the line and to fuel it out the back door. The last thing I want to do is hurt the engine while trying to bite off more than I can chew. My goal is to get to the track at least 7 times this year, but I’ll be driving it all year with any luck.

So, the QuadraJet, and it’s “special needs,” may need to take back seat for the main goal.
A Holley 950 HP Ultra made 595 hp and my 800 Qjet was only a few hp behind at 586 hp, both on a dual plane

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
A Holley 950 HP Ultra made 595 hp and my 800 Qjet was only a few hp behind at 586 hp, both on a dual plane

That’s very nice.

What does your fuel system look like?

How much do you drive the car on the street?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
That’s very nice.

What does your fuel system look like?

How much do you drive the car on the street?
1/2" hardline from tank to pump, robbmc 1/2" pickup, Robbmc pre and post filter. RobbMc 550 pump, holds 6 psi at WOT, 3/8" hardline pump to carb, 0.135" needle and seat. Have not driven it yet

·
Premium Member
3,595 Posts
That’s a shame.

I prefer Monte Carlo’s in their natural habitat.
Is that your Monte? If so, is she Frost Green? :)

FWIW, I'd lose the QJet and go Holley. (I'd also go RPM intake....but that's just me.) You're not really going to impress anyone with these two features, IMHO.

Now, the rear gear selection is another story...as that and the converter are kind of the point of this build. If this works, you'll have an interesting, low RPM cruiser. But I'd lean toward just going with whatever carb and intake you'll use long term.

Your motor will only have so many pulls on Mark's dyno. I'd make the most out of it......with the utmost respect.

You can feed my good advice back to me as you go flying by me in the 1/4..............

Reactions: Dragginwagon467

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
Is that your Monte? If so, is she Frost Green? :)

FWIW, I'd lose the QJet and go Holley. (I'd also go RPM intake....but that's just me.) You're not really going to impress anyone with these two features, IMHO.

Now, the rear gear selection is another story...as that and the converter are kind of the point of this build. If this works, you'll have an interesting, low RPM cruiser. But I'd lean toward just going with whatever carb and intake you'll use long term.

Your motor will only have so many pulls on Mark's dyno. I'd make the most out of it......with the utmost respect.

You can feed my good advice back to me as you go flying by me in the 1/4..............
Yes, that’s my Monte. It’s sea mist green.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I'm planning on doing basically the same thing with a mild 532 and a 273 gear. I would get a good convertor designed for your particular combination but I would bet money it runs easy 11s. We had a 700 hp 505 on radial drag tires with a 308 that ran 10.70s at 130 20 years ago
We all must have the same loose screw.
I'm shooting for 9's with my 532 a 3.50 gear and a 275/60-15 tire.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Sounds like a capable QJET, I'm interested to know who built it.
Ken at Everyday Performance, his stage 2. I made a few more changes: opened the secondary air a little more to the max as outlined in Cliffs book, soldered and re drilled the secondary hi speed air bleeds back to stock size, put in a larger needle and seat, and changed the secondary metering rods a time or 2 to get the final AFR numbers right.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
A 67 Camaro 396/325 HP superstocker a friend bought a few years ago, ran a quadrajet. What it had to help provide enough fuel capacity, was the fuel line from the regulator to the carb was the same size as the fuel inlet on the quadrajet, -12? or so? I do not know the exact size, but it was bigger than the -10 my car has.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #117

That’s the plan at the moment. Going from 13s to 11s is a big change, and I have plenty of change to manage this year already. So, I already have an RPM Air Gap for another build which I’ll use for the time being and I’ll have Mark see what it can do in the best conditions, i.e., with headers and a good intake.

Don’t look for ultimate peak horsepower though, I’ve got plenty of compression and I need a somewhat wider power band and and smoother idle (which works with the stock converter).

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
1/2" hardline from tank to pump, robbmc 1/2" pickup, Robbmc pre and post filter. RobbMc 550 pump, holds 6 psi at WOT, 3/8" hardline pump to carb, 0.135" needle and seat. Have not driven it yet

Sorry, missed this reply. Sounds promising, how many miles a year do you drive?

I wonder if the RobbMC pump has the same concern as others for street driving miles, basically, needing brushes and rebuilt in less than 3K miles.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Sorry, missed this reply. Sounds promising, how many miles a year do you drive?

I wonder if the RobbMC pump has the same concern as others for street driving miles, basically, needing brushes and rebuilt in less than 3K miles.
No, it's a mechanical pump, so doesn't need brushes etc. Drive only a few thousand miles a year but shouldn't be a concern.

·
Registered
190 Posts
One of my concerns is driveline failure, and lunching the engine. I’m still pondering how I can slip a Rev limiter into a stock appearing distributor.

Whether or not a higher stall will help or hurt traction on stock rubber is not clear to me. Part of me thinks higher would be worse, another part of me thinks it could be better. I do know that my ‘81 Malibu wagon, with 3.42 gears and a 10” Hughes converter, took everything this same 467 had off the line (when fitted with exhaust manifolds and not enough timing) and was a dead hook on 15 year old, 275/60 Dunlop tires. The first 5’ was admirable, unfortunately the next 55’ were disappointing. The net result was a 1.84s, and me questioning giving up my 406 for a big block Chevy.
Crane ignition module has a built in adjustable Rev limiter. I have one in my Buick distributor for 15 years.

101 - 120 of 139 Posts