Team Chevelle banner

81 - 100 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Idk ...he might have 150 or 200 more hp but hes carrying 7 or 800 more pounds too.
And you had somewhat of a converter .
Not sure what you had for tires .
I wouldnt call 11's a shoe in ..maybe .
I'd probably bet 7 to 2 on no lol
Certainly cant wait to see though .
If it happens without any converter change or otherwise itll be a YouTube classic for sure
It’ll be epic, it’s going 11s.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Mike,
Just saw this. What happened with the heads you were porting? Why did you decide to go MJ.
My thought is the only way the drive line will last is if you are spinning. I would at least get a driveshaft with 1350 joints. What is your front suspension? Now that Milan is closed where is your choice?
Rick
Why MJ?

Rick, this may sound funny, but I’m having a bit of a midlife crisis. Combine this with the screwball government that wants to soundly extinguish the things I love, I look at this time as Custard’s last stand. I knew all along that I wanted an MJ engine, the only thing that’s changed is the timeframe. I like his mentality and commitment to the sport.

The converter will protect the driveshaft, at least that’s my thought. 1350 joints are big and heavy, driveshaft will get solid Spicers when the time arises.

The front springs have been replaced, I suspect they're small block springs. I half wonder if these cars always sit this low though. The big block reminds you it’s there when you hit dips.

No cheatin now. Lol Gotta leave the drive train and tires as they sit !
I’m Irish, I’d have it no other way. I spend money to fix problems, not to spend money.

If something keeps me from the goal, I’ll address it then. Otherwise, the goal is cruiser first, 11s time slips next. Anything I change to achieve the second goal can’t sacrifice the first.

Priorities change over the course of our lives so we’ll see if 11s is it.

·
Premium Member
4,636 Posts
I think if he can find the right GM power train turbo 350 converter early 70s mid sized car virgin converter it will run and drive excellent. Just remember out there: Jarretts 1970 lifted 4 wheel drive truck with a iron oval port GM heads, 505, 3.73 gears, GM turbo 350 converter, 32 inch slicks ran 11.48 @ 118 @ I believe 4800 pounds. Think about that......

"Jarretts 1970 lifted 4 wheel drive truck with a iron oval port GM heads, 505, 3.73 gears, GM turbo 350 converter, 32 inch slicks ran 11.48 @ 118 @ I believe 4800 pounds. Think about that......"

One thing I can't stand is wrong information, all the information above is wrong. I spoke to Jarrett today and heres the story according to him today. 505 BBC 653 HP 686 TQ, truck weighed "ALMOST" 4800 pounds, ran 11.78 @ Bakersfield, high 116 MPH in a head wind, 4.56 gears, with a very tight custom converter, the GM converter ran basically ran the same, he also said he thought he could get it to run 11.3-11.4 @ Sacramento in better condition.

Sorry for the wrong information.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
"Jarretts 1970 lifted 4 wheel drive truck with a iron oval port GM heads, 505, 3.73 gears, GM turbo 350 converter, 32 inch slicks ran 11.48 @ 118 @ I believe 4800 pounds. Think about that......"

One thing I can't stand is wrong information, all the information above is wrong. I spoke to Jarrett today and heres the story according to him today. 505 BBC 653 HP 686 TQ, truck weighed "ALMOST" 4800 pounds, ran 11.78 @ Bakersfield, high 116 MPH in a head wind, 4.56 gears, with a very tight custom converter, the GM converter ran basically ran the same, he also said he thought he could get it to run 11.3-11.4 @ Sacramento in better condition.

Sorry for the wrong information.
It still proves a point that gearing and the right converter make the combination work. With 2.56's in that truck I suspect it might not have run mid 11's, correct?

·
Premium Member
16,750 Posts
That’s what makes this such an interesting test. We’re still months away but it seems most are as interested in finding out as we are.

First the build and dyno test. I’m on the fence about asking Mark test both the Air Gap and iron intake. I’d like to know what’s being left on the table.
Lots, but maybe less than 50 as that intake isnt as bad as a pancake imho. Mark suggested as much as -50 with a pancake.

Hey, even us not-so-spry 60 yr olds can drop a trans, run the T350! . Sucks up less energy than a 400. You can build them decent, 3 seasons out of a BBC/Regal 6.XX 1/8 drag car before they need freshening isn't so bad. intermediate sprag , the usual upgrades.

You running the stock rear setup? Here's a weird thought, and maybe a pro can clear it up, but against the advice of Denny ( Driveshafts) I left my shaft with 1310 stockers. As I explained to Den, its my designed weak link. He thought I was nuts. Stock tubes, stock diff, , oem GM gears, yet new axles, and I felt that keeping the tiny little guys in there wasn't a bad thought.

Speaking of slushbox, the "slushiest" part of that slush box is the converter. I always felt that if I ran an auto, I'd buck up and get the best I could afford. HERE I'd follow Mark's advice however. He understands the system and its demands. And again, if it dont work, swap it out. Its like me and TO bearings! :)

So where's your home track again? Not Thompson?

PS Eric @ Vintage finally made a Qjet support theMJ's power. He also provided it with tuning I haven't touched yet, but may , as it needs richened up a freckle. My stock 4" stroke mill humped 585hp with a Qjet on. You'll crest that by at least 5% !

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Lots, but maybe less than 50 as that intake isnt as bad as a pancake imho. Mark suggested as much as -50 with a pancake.

Hey, even us not-so-spry 60 yr olds can drop a trans, run the T350! . Sucks up less energy than a 400. You can build them decent, 3 seasons out of a BBC/Regal 6.XX 1/8 drag car before they need freshening isn't so bad. intermediate sprag , the usual upgrades.

You running the stock rear setup? Here's a weird thought, and maybe a pro can clear it up, but against the advice of Denny ( Driveshafts) I left my shaft with 1310 stockers. As I explained to Den, its my designed weak link. He thought I was nuts. Stock tubes, stock diff, , oem GM gears, yet new axles, and I felt that keeping the tiny little guys in there wasn't a bad thought.

Speaking of slushbox, the "slushiest" part of that slush box is the converter. I always felt that if I ran an auto, I'd buck up and get the best I could afford. HERE I'd follow Mark's advice however. He understands the system and its demands. And again, if it dont work, swap it out. Its like me and TO bearings! :)

So where's your home track again? Not Thompson?

PS Eric @ Vintage finally made a Qjet support theMJ's power. He also provided it with tuning I haven't touched yet, but may , as it needs richened up a freckle. My stock 4" stroke mill humped 585hp with a Qjet on. You'll crest that by at least 5% !
It’s been my experience than age wear kills U-joints more than outright torque. The tires will limit the torque, mostly.

Yes, stock rear setup.

Home track? Norwalk Raceway Park (Summit Motorsports Park for younger folks). But honestly, my goal is to hit every track around. And, hopefully something works out with Milan, maybe the IHRA finds a way to keep it open. I’m a little OCD, see attached document I’ve been working on.

Tell me more about your fuel system for your QuadraJet? Return style regulator?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,595 Posts
It’s been my experience than age wear kills U-joints more than outright torque. The tires will limit the torque, mostly.

Yes, stock rear setup.

Home track? Norwalk Raceway Park (Summit Motorsports Park for younger folks). But honestly, my goal is to hit every track around. And, hopefully something works out with Milan, maybe the IHRA finds a way to keep it open. I’m a little OCD, see attached document I’ve been working on.

Tell me more about your fuel system for your QuadraJet? Return style regulator?
Norwalk? Hell....we're almost neighbors!
Haven't ever run there but I live about 45 minutes away.
I race mostly where I grew up - Thompson Raceway Park: The Thunder and Bad Hamburger Capital.
I'll occasionally hit Dragway 42 as well.
There are least four of us from this Site in the Area.....FWIW.
So....you can borrow my old 2200-2400 stall speed TH-350 Converter when you need it. :)

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Norwalk? Hell....we're almost neighbors!
Haven't ever run there but I live about 45 minutes away.
I race mostly where I grew up - Thompson Raceway Park: The Thunder and Bad Hamburger Capital.
I'll occasionally hit Dragway 42 as well.
There are least four of us from this Site in the Area.....FWIW.
So....you can borrow my old 2200-2400 stall speed TH-350 Converter when you need it. :)
Thompson and 42 are on the list for this year. Who else is from around the area?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
That spreadsheet is awesome!!

Norwalk? Heck, that's local.. TRP or 42 is more local, but I'd be happy to put a face to the name and watch the testing in person if scheduling works out.

-Dave

Reactions: Dragginwagon467

·
Premium Member
3,595 Posts
Dave (above), Geo71, MarkP, and a few others.
Don't run at Thompson without letting Dave and I know. Not as nice as 42 but tons of shutdown room and a solid, old-school track.

Reactions: Dragginwagon467

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
That spreadsheet is awesome!!

Norwalk? Heck, that's local.. TRP or 42 is more local, but I'd be happy to put a face to the name and watch the testing in person if scheduling works out.

-Dave
If you like the spreadsheet, send me your gmail address.

I’m eager to get to the track, any track, but a well prepped track is even better.

·
Premium Member
3,087 Posts
If you like the spreadsheet, send me your gmail address.

I’m eager to get to the track, any track, but a well prepped track is even better.
MCR opens Saturday from 1-5. Gonna see if my cam swap made any difference.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
I'm planning on doing basically the same thing with a mild 532 and a 273 gear. I would get a good convertor designed for your particular combination but I would bet money it runs easy 11s. We had a 700 hp 505 on radial drag tires with a 308 that ran 10.70s at 130 20 years ago

·
Premium Member
16,750 Posts
Oooh. Thompson isnt that far! Please let us know when Mike!

I hate to say that I have not "engineered" anything for the Qjet other than my 30 yr old rebuilt Holley regulator. Truth be known, I had my heart set on running a Qjet , even in the design phase with Mark. Yet. when I bolted my old race Holley onto the MJ, it was like she slipped on a pair of old hunting boots she could walk forever in. Made for each other I tell ya. It simply works so damn well, it will be hard to keep the Qjet on there. Have to suck up the 13.5 mpg tho.

Qjet is still on from last fall. plugs look a bit lean. ( they were spot on perfect with the Holley) I'll use the custom tuning tricks that Eric installed on it for me ( both a custom APT and rear fuel feed orifice) to richen it before I throw the old Holley back on.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
Oooh. Thompson isnt that far! Please let us know when Mike!

I hate to say that I have not "engineered" anything for the Qjet other than my 30 yr old rebuilt Holley regulator. Truth be known, I had my heart set on running a Qjet , even in the design phase with Mark. Yet. when I bolted my old race Holley onto the MJ, it was like she slipped on a pair of old hunting boots she could walk forever in. Made for each other I tell ya. It simply works so damn well, it will be hard to keep the Qjet on there. Have to suck up the 13.5 mpg tho.

Qjet is still on from last fall. plugs look a bit lean. ( they were spot on perfect with the Holley) I'll use the custom tuning tricks that Eric installed on it for me ( both a custom APT and rear fuel feed orifice) to richen it before I throw the old Holley back on.
I’m sorta getting cold feet about the QuadraJet, and balancing what I want in a cruiser and track performance. The Holley is a reliable mixer at this horsepower level, and sorting out a suitable fuel system to keep the carb happy on the track and street isn’t rocket science.

The main goal is a street car that can run to 11s with stock converter and 2.56 gears, and do so on hard street tires. The closer to 11.50, the better. The second goal is a “stock appearing” build.

Everything takes time, and this probably won’t be a drop it in and run 11s deal without a learning curve, both to get it off the line and to fuel it out the back door. The last thing I want to do is hurt the engine while trying to bite off more than I can chew. My goal is to get to the track at least 7 times this year, but I’ll be driving it all year with any luck.

So, the QuadraJet, and it’s “special needs,” may need to take back seat for the main goal.

81 - 100 of 139 Posts