Team Chevelle banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yes..after several weeks of gathering parts and stockpilling them, i have started the work on her chevelle.

i bught this car local to us since it was a easy purchase and was fairly clean and straight.

since the car was going to have a good going over, i wasnt worried that the brakes where a nightmare..or the fact that the stocker 307 was on its last leg..

no big deal...thats part of the plan.

satruday night i started the brake rebuild using the cpp parts. also installed hotchkis springs on the four corner lowering it 1 inch..or so i thought. the stockers musta been really worn out cuz its in the air now..
ill revisit that one later.

also installed sway bars. my attempts to gain a better feel have left me wondering. she is still a bit sloppy. my mopar is better handling that this right now...but in its defense, i still need to install the jeep gc steering box.

i have left the ralleys on it and will continue to do so. the shock i used was the doetsch tech ones..hope it was a good choice..

next work will be done over the next week.

355 s/b using a ported iron vortech head. hyd roller comp cam with air gap intake. 10:1 motor using zero deck hypers.

nothing fancy..just a good solid built short block and a decent head.

you guys turned me on to a set of the pml valve covers. i have them and could not be happier.

kinda retro-ie.....if thats a good word for it..using a 396/454 air cleaner for a cowl hooded 70 model...kinda neat/open design and yet old.

exhaust is a dynatech supermaxx header..step design with the hader coated by my good friend carl benton. i went with a color called cobalt. its what some use on cast iron pieces. makes the headers look cast...differant i know..but clean and functional.

also using the header back dynatech system. 2.5 inches. the glide will remain in the car as will the 3.36 gearing. using a small 3k converter t help things out a bit...

well...thats it for now....ill try to get some pics up.

steve

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Your Title and project are NOT THE SAME THING!
You are working on a car for your wife to drive.
Making a woman happy is an impossible thing, and best you can hope for are moments of peace and serenity.

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
What year & model? The car, Not the wife :D

LK

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
Sounds like you're well on your way to an impossible objective. :) Keep us posted and provide pics when you can. Good luck

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Question: Did you replace the control arm bushings front & rear?

Watch the Speedwrench video on this web site: http://www.carjunkietv.com/
I think you'll find it interesting.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
I agree, "Your Title and project are NOT THE SAME THING! "

Now that I've really dug into my "project" (the Chevelle)

(which, by the way, I've nicknamed "The Big Build".
Like "The Big Dig",
-It will take a lot longer than expected,
-It will go over budget,
-Everyone will have an opinion about it,
-I'll have a lot of old stuff to get rid of when it's done, and
-Something is sure to break during the shakedown.)

the Mrs. has thrown a laundry list of projects at me that she would like to ("must have") done. So I have started my own "project make wife happy".

Be glad it's working on a car and not
-repainting every room in the house...the exact same color,
-endless trips to the nursery, digging up and moving plants, etc.
-refinishing furniture,
-etc., etc., etc.

I love her to death and I wouldn't trade her for anything, (nor is she demanding or worse. I'm just stretching the facts for the humor value) to but I am thinking of getting out of retirement so I can pay someone else to do that stuff! :D

Who else out there is doing a non-automotive "project make wife happy"?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
my ol lady is loving the work. she is a real die hard car girl.
she's just tired of me working on every one else's cars and not hers.
so i tool the weekend off and knocked out her suspension.

next weekend ill knock out the motor swap and the exhaust.

steve

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yuo guys are killin me...fun place to be tho...i hope she doesnt ready this stuff. im in deep do do..

im going to bed now..

steve-o

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Ya, I am doing a 65 chevelle project for my wife. I just got a set of heads for her and taking her on a motor home cruise to florida and the beach ( pick up some parts in Forida on the way. I am striping the body and gathering parts while we do the car cruises in our 68 chevelle ss. She loves cars . ya guys . they shop while we are in the barn doing our thing . don't forget it

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
my ol lady is loving the work. she is a real die hard car girl.
she's just tired of me working on every one else's cars and not hers.
so i tool the weekend off and knocked out her suspension.

next weekend ill knock out the motor swap and the exhaust.

steve
Mine, too. She has a 79 Camaro and a 73 4x4 Chevy pick up. I just put the old 454 out of my Chevelle into her truck. That's one mean pick up truck now. The 6-71 blower from my new engine for the Chevelle is going to end up on her 454 in the Camaro.

Why is she getting all my parts? Because I'm getting a 10-71 for my 496 for the Chevelle!! :D:hurray:

·
Registered
13,318 Posts
Ya, BEEN THERE, DONE THAT, STILL DOING THAT, AND GOT ALL THE T-SHIRTS AND THEY'RE GREASE STAINED, TORN AND RAGGED!!!
And the little woman is STILL not totally happy!!!!!!! :(

You CANNOT keep a woman happy--------------CAN'T BE DONE!
Mine wanted a convertible---------------pestered me for years. Finally, I just caved in and started looking. She didn't like this, she didn't like that, OH, that one is cute (the little cracker boxes), I wanted to go with a 55-7 Chevy conv, she DOES NOT like them, I wanted an early 60s 409 car, they're too big. She likes Camaros and ChevyII (Camaro conv is 3yr only and ChevyII conv is 1yr only). Either of those will be rusted or expensive!
So, we finally got around to the GM A-body convertibles. Cutlass, Pont or Chevelle (I do not and will not work on Fords and I don't have enough money to buy a 4sp HEMI conv!!!!). I stipulated that it MUST have a 4sp and factory air (I'd make an exception for a HEMI:thumbsup:).
So I found this reasonably nice 70 Malibu conv. VERY tired 307, so-so Saginaw 4sp, 3.08 non-posi rear, factory air (not working), VERY, VERY minimal rust, both bumpers had minor dings, drum brakes, suspension is OK. Paid $8400 in 98 for it. Now I've got about $20K in it (and I do ALLLLLLLLLLLL the work). It still has the drum brakes (always on the lookout for a donor with discs), but the fronts are the big, finned Buick (Regal) drums. And I'm still not done. She loves the car and loves to drive it (only with the top down), but is unhappy because I'm always working on it (the past 4wks its been up on the lift getting new axles and a clutch for CB08). The weather is getting real nice now and she REALLY wants to drive it. Maybe I can back it out into the sunshine this weekend and make the little woman HAPPY AGAIN (temporarily)! :D:hurray:

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Hey you guys get off cheap. The only car my wife liked at Car Craft Summer Nationals was a HEMI CUDA CONVERTABLE. It was the only one she saw at the entire Fairgrounds, boy ya think? I gave her the estimated value and she nearly crapped.

·
Premium Member
6,740 Posts
Project Make the Wife Happy. Buy her something gold or with diamonds then go back to working on the Chevelle, works for me.

·
Registered
13,318 Posts
Project Make the Wife Happy. Buy her something gold or with diamonds then go back to working on the Chevelle, works for me.
OH HECK NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My wife wants BOTH diamonds and the convertible!!!!!!!!
That way she has a little decoration to go with the car!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
she already owns a hemi charger...

and ive tried the diamond thingies...worked for a few days...

steve-o

Hey you guys get off cheap. The only car my wife liked at Car Craft Summer Nationals was a HEMI CUDA CONVERTABLE. It was the only one she saw at the entire Fairgrounds, boy ya think? I gave her the estimated value and she nearly crapped.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts