Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you guys well know by now, I'm coverting my 68 4-dr with a 307/2spd powerglide to a 350/3spd t/h. I'm trying to figure out what all I can reuse. The guy at the shop where I'm getting the motor from says he can get me a late sixties style 350 shortblock no problem. I have a set of heads with 202/198 valves, a holley street dominator intake and a holley 600 or 650 carb (I can't remember which one I bought, darn beer). Now, this car has the stock rear end in it. I have no idea what I'm dealing with there. No idea on gears or series of carrier.

What I need help on:
What cam should I use?
How big does my fuel pump need to be?
If I'm going to run nitrous, do I need a secondary electric fuel pump?
What gears should I run?
What torque converter should I use?
What kind of starter gear/flywheel do I need to get?
Do I need to completely replace my rear end to run bigger gears?

I want to get a mild street setup going in my car. Nothing too radical. I'd like to run a big enough cam that you can really hear it, but one that's not too much for my engine.

Thanks for all your help!

And Shai, I'll get those pictures up as soon as I get some developed. I'll be sure and post some before and after pictures.

Chris

------------------
68 Chevelle Malibu four door - under construction.

Tubbed 68 Chevelle something. One day a race car.

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tubbed68:
And Shai, I'll get those pictures up as soon as I get some developed. I'll be sure and post some before and after pictures.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks

I wish i could help you.. But i don't know much about cams, gears, fuel pumps, etc.

------------------
Shai

1972 Chevelle Malibu custom 4dr
Restoration started: February 10th 2001
TC member #1278

·
Registered
214 Posts
About gearing, you shouldnt need to swap your rear totaly. At most you might need a different carrier(along with gears and all the associated parts for instalation). You need to find out what you have though. If its a posi(and if you want to spend money on one if its not) and what rear gearing it is.(a search of tech or drivetrain should give you how to tell if your cars gota posi and how to tell what gear it is) You might luck out and wind up with a nice rear gear and a posi or a pegleg in the 2's
It might be cheaper to find a rear end with desired gears and a posi instead of rebuilding yours. Is it 10 or 12 bolt? Depending how what cruise rpm you find comfortable dictates what gear you can run. Most guys like around a 355 or 373 for street(some guys dont mind 410's though) Your car has got to be a pacage though, gear converter stall speed and cam are very interconnected. It might help to know what your expectations are from this car, just a nice cruiser or a street/strip car? This isnt a daily driver I assume? It might help pick out a cam/converter to know what you want it to do and what you will sacrafice. Good luck

Philip

·
Registered
214 Posts
Oh and about n2o, if you are going to stay with a small shot probably no need for a seperate system just a good pump will work, but bigger shots mean more fule required(seperate system) and more expensive innards to live like forged pistons and special ring gaps and the like.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
I can understand your desire to make this as perfect as possible right out of the box, but may I suggest that you give this a more experimental approach - experimenting will not only teach you about how things work, but also what qualities/results will make you happy.

Decide first what your real performance and money goals are. I would suggest not letting things get too out of hand - if you need/want to sell at some point in time you may discover that not many share the four door love.

May I also suggest that you not overlook your chassis setup, and do not skimp on trans buildup and torque converter (you get what you pay for, the good ones cost).

Now tell us how much bank you have for your more four door project.

Thomas

------------------
"Bomber" '67 El Camino, Beater comes back to life.
Was 350/TH350 14.90 @ 93mph, 360,000+ miles on car.
Now 406 roller, 340rwhp, more hp coming, 3.08 gears.
Street radials, left in drive, 13.20 [email protected] mph.
8/1/01 added Plum Mist '67 to collection
ProCharger D-2R 468 under construction.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I'm not worried about selling the car and getting any money out of it. This car has been in the family (I am the second owner) since it rolled off of the dealership lot. The cars that aren't paid for will go back before this beautiful work of art will ever end up in the hands of someone who is not in the family. I know that four doors aren't that popular, and that is why I'm doing a custom job on this one. Besides who wouldn't think it cool to see a 4 door model of a sixties muscle car blow the doors off of a late model Mustang or Camaro? Enough said on that subject. Money is an issue as I'm sure it is with most of you, and I understand this is something that won't happen overnight. For the most part I plan to buy everything a piece at a time. I have pulled the motor and transmission already and I'm starting with cleaning up the engine bay/underside of the car and tearing apart the front end for a rebuild. I want to buy quality parts of course. I'm not interesting in dropping 5 grand in the shortblock. A stock shortblock I can get for $465 . I want to drop a cam in that, to give it what it needs for the Holley 650. Everything else I have is listed at the begining of this post. I also want to run a small shot of nitrous on it (75-100 shot). The only thing I'm still curious about is how to find out what kind of a rear end I have. Where do I look on the rear? Thanks for your help guys, looking forward to your ideas! Also, I forgot to mention. I'm looking for a good running street machine that I can take to track and not be ashamed of my times, so I guess I'm looking for a street/strip car.

------------------
68 Chevelle Malibu four door - under construction.

Tubbed 68 Chevelle something. One day a race car.

[This message has been edited by tubbed68 (edited 01-16-2002).]

·
Registered
214 Posts
First get underneath and count the number of bolts on the cover of the differential. 10 bolts=a 10 bolt and 12=yup you guessed it, now you know what you have(unless someone stuck something weird under it like a rear outa a buick or a 9") Now to find out if you have a posi the only 100% way to know(because if the posi is bad it will act like a open differential) is to pull the front cover. Another fun way is to turn the steering wheel and mash the gas from a stop, if she starts coming around your good to go, if one wheel goes up in smoke and the other does nothing you got a dying posi or an open diff
Have fun with your quadraport

Philip

·
Premium Member
7,962 Posts
I'll bet that your quadraport has a 3.08:1 10-bolt out back. With a carb and intake like your I'd say that 3.55 gears would be a nice compromise. The 4 door models are not very popular but if done right you could have a really cool ride if you get the paint and graphics, wheels, tires & attitude right. Hmmm, I wonder how tubbing the thing will affect the dogleg & rear seat on your 4 door?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.