Team Chevelle banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after months of beating on this thing, replacing the frame, floors, 1/4's, painting, installing the ls engine, etc, it was time to see if it would make it around the block, so i could make the short drive to my buddys house for some interior work-first thing, p/b's didnt work, found i was using full vacume to the v/c, robbing the booster of vacume(still trying to figure out how ls engines use pcv valves, but i think i know what i have to do) anyway, plugged the hose to the v/c, brakes work good-took it around the block, seems ok but a little sluggish compared to when i first fired it, but shifts ok, alt charges, good oil pres, motor runs cool-after a call to msd, i learn the box is default to 1 bar map sensor, didnt like the 2 bar i installed, so i switched back, runs ok untill i use the laptop to program the box
so i think i am getting there
69 chevelle, 300 sedan, PPG poppy orange, bench seat/col shift, i installed a roll bar incase i turn the wick up
6.0 ls(truck engine) z06 cam, forged rods/pistons, edelb. intake, carb'ed, procharger w/8 rib conversion(used a vette front drive setup), procharger intercooler-i made up a switch pitch turbo 400, old school stuff from the 60's, it was kind of cool driving along and switching the stall, like another gear-i built the car to hopefully be a drive anywhere, quite, pretty quick deal, kind of a departure from my last few, time to have fun again-lol

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
I like it. How much boost you running? Is that F1 or F2 procharger? What ECU are you using? I assume less then 10lbs due to the 2 bar MAP sensor? Like to see the interior when you get it completed?

Enjoy!

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
That is killer....keep us posted how it does at the track. What switch pitch did you go with...PAE 1400/4000???

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
im using a d1sc, got a killer deal, thought about an f1r, but couldnt pass up this one
im using the 1100/3000 converter, wish i had gotten the 4000, pretty cool to drive along, switch stalls, like another gear

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
actually the hoods not painted yet, its a goodmark 2" cowl, doesnt fit great, but a bfh might help-my fear was the windshield wipers would hit it, and sure enough yesterday i installed them, the d/s gets trapped under it, and the pass side arm rubs on it-i reinstalled them higher up to clear, but the p/s arm still hits-only cure is to cut 1/2" from the lip of the cowl
thanks again, goodmark
i trial fit an old ss hod i had, which is what i wanted to begin with, and if i cut the lip off the underhood brace, i think it will fit, gonna try today(i have to cut either hood anyway)
the carb hat isnt cut, one of the extrem vol ones, i would rather have a csu hat, but needed the tilted one to fit (procharger is sup. to send a prototype to try)
i am using an edelbrock intake, i heard the gm one might be shorter, trying to find out now
gonna load a new program today, hope it cures some things, then see how it runs

·
Registered
6,264 Posts
That engine looks like original equipment. Which displacement is it? With the addition of the Procharger you should have a nice strong package. What is the total weight with the lighter engine? By the way, you did a very nice job on the paint and body work.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Car looks good. Lets see this procharger hat! I'm trying to keep all my piping under a flat hood, I may be milling the intake. Cough cough, the sdce hat may help you out on clearance.

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
smax-do they sell that breather you have as a replacement for the oil filler cap-i thought i saw one somewhere-still trying to figure out the pcv system-the 6.0 truck engine v/c's only had a nipple on the d/s, must have used something in the fi as a restrictor-i got some 5.3 v/c's, they have the pcv valve back on the d/s, and i thought of pluging the nipple on the d/s and running a filter like you have-the 5.3 pcv valve is just an empty canister, with a tiny hole in the bottom, no ball inside
i tried tee'n into the d/s nipple, but it robbed all the vac. from my p/b's, so it def needs mettered vacume

·
Registered
93 Posts
Actually I made that myself. Just got a valve cover breather from the parts store and used a hole saw to cut a hole in the oil cap and then used some small screws in the bottom to make sure the breather stays on. If you look closely at the first picture I posted on the back of the ds valve cover where you just have a nipple I have a smaller breather. You can put the two breathers like I have and then there are to vents on the passenger side valve cover you will have to block off, and then you will have eliminated the pcv system and you will only be using a breather on each valve cover to ventilate the crankcase. However if you really want to run a pcv system I still have the stock system that came off the ls1 in my car.

Disreguard 3, 4 and 5.
(1) To HVAC
(2) To Power Brake Booster
(3) EVAP System Test Port
(4) To EVAP Canister
(5) EVAP Canister Purge Solenoid
(6) Throttle Body
(7) Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) Valve
(8) Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve
(9) Crankcase Ventilation Hose
(10) Crankcase Ventilation Hose

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.