Chevelles.com banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
I wish they made those pieces for when I put together my car. would have made it so much easier then to make a bunch of patch panels.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wish they made those pieces for when I put together my car. would have made it so much easier then to make a bunch of patch panels.
I hear Ya, In years past I've cut up many donor cars for floor pans and still had to add patch panels to them. I've turned down restoration jobs in the past that were this bad, but now you can almost build a body with repro. parts. It keeps me in business.

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
I hear Ya, In years past I've cut up many donor cars for floor pans and still had to add patch panels to them. I've turned down restoration jobs in the past that were this bad, but now you can almost build a body with repro. parts. It keeps me in business.
yeah but I learned my lesson no more project cars that require replacing everything that make and a few that they don't. how does the structural piece look under the package try to the trunk gutter :beers:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
how does the structural piece look under the package tray to the trunk gutter :beers:
The gutter that the bottom of the back glass glues to has some pitting and a few rust holes, but I can weld in new metal quicker than replacing the whole piece.

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
I admire a guy that will tackle a project like that. Way to much for me to handle. I have my motor/trans and nose off now. I'd love to pull the rest of the body off and clean/repaint the frame, but it is just a bit much for me and my limited body skills. NOW would be the time to do it though.......:(

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Re: Project 66 - BLASTED

I finished blasting the body shell today. Now it's time to get out the welder and start patching all the remaining rust holes before fitting in the new floor pans. I remember working at the local Chevy store in the fall of 1965 when these cars were brand new. One of my jobs after school was New Car Prep. I never would have guessed then that years later I'd have to tear one apart this far to save it. Are We ??*"NUTS"*?? or What?

Blasted 002.jpg

Blasted 001.jpg

Blasted 005.jpg

Blasted 003.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,406 Posts
Lookin' good Jimmy :thumbsup: I'm not quite that far along on my 67, but will be shortly, I hope. Did you have to add any temporary bracing or anything before cutting all of that old metal off? Especially the quarters. That's what stopping me from cutting my quarters away is I'm not sure how or where to brace to keep body from twisting.

I have my new (one piece) trunk in, and new tail pan, thanks to a ton of help from TC member BUBBA2711 (Ron) No way I would have attempted it without his help.

How much further damage did you find after media blasting? I'd love to get that done to mine at some point

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lookin' good Jimmy :thumbsup: I'm not quite that far along on my 67, but will be shortly, I hope. Did you have to add any temporary bracing or anything before cutting all of that old metal off? Especially the quarters. That's what stopping me from cutting my quarters away is I'm not sure how or where to brace to keep body from twisting.

I have my new (one piece) trunk in, and new tail pan, thanks to a ton of help from TC member BUBBA2711 (Ron) No way I would have attempted it without his help.

How much further damage did you find after media blasting? I'd love to get that done to mine at some point
I added a brace in the back window opening to hold up the panel between the window and trunk opening. My rockers are still in place and the inner structure is still attached all the way around on both sides to keep those openings correct. Everything is gone from the sailpanels back, so there's nothing to brace. I have some small rust holes to repair on the left sail panel, under the rear window, and some in the cowl section and driverside foot area. The new floor pans are completely assembled, so I will begin by leveling the frame on stands and bolting the floor panto it with new mounts. Then I'll lower the body back on and after squaring it up with the floor and hanging the doors to fit,I'll weld the body and floor in place. Then I'll move to the rear floor section and wheel tubs and quarters etc. Prefitting every thing from the doors back and around the trunk opening. Then weld it all up. "Sound like FUN?"

·
Premium Member
5,124 Posts
Absolutely impressive!

And exceptionally informative in terms of how a 66 goes together. Mine probably needs a good bit of that, especially the front floors. Its nice to know that the floors come with the body mount reinforcing installed. I think some of mine are terminally rusted. They seem to squeek and rattle over bumps. But it will be a few years before I get that serious or brave. I would need a better welder and a skill level enhancement also.

Looks like you do very nice work.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: Project 66 So I Floored It Today

First thing this AM I bolted the new floor pans to the frame and dropped the body in place and clamped it. Then I hung the doors back on. After I'm sure everything fits and the doors swing nice I'll weld the floors in. Here's a few shots from today to help follow along.
Floored 004.jpg

Floored 003.jpg

Floored 007.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,368 Posts
Please keep posting progress, this is facinating.

How did you decide to mate the floor under the front vent panels and under the rear quarter windows? Looks like you are going to lap weld the floor there. Why did you cut out the rocker tops by the floor cross braces?

thanks for posting this stuff.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Please keep posting progress, this is facinating.

How did you decide to mate the floor under the front vent panels and under the rear quarter windows? Looks like you are going to lap weld the floor there. Why did you cut out the rocker tops by the floor cross braces?

thanks for posting this stuff.
The new floor pan came with the inner rocker section already attached so that can be plug welded along the entire length of the bottom edge of the existing rocker. The top of the old rocker rests on top of the outeredge of the floor and will be plug welded/edge welded in a lap manner. Where the front of the new floor meets the front footboards I will have to add some metal to make this splice since the mating edge was rusted and I just trimmed it off. Same in the corners under the freshair vents. The areas cut out of the rocker tops was done when I removed the rotted cross braces. It was an easy way to get them out cleanly with the sawsall. I'll replace that metal also. The area under the rear quarter glass is attached to the inner rockers same as described before. Thanks for watching Floyd.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm glad to share this info if it helps someone through a tough project. Is there a limit on how many photos I can post? would it help if I downsized them? Or can I delete some earlier photos to make room for new photos. I see a red bar when adding attachments and it looks to be filled all the way across.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts