Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey John. I want to remove the front clip on the 70, including the front wiring harness, but still need to be able to fire her up so I can move her in and out of the shop. At the same time I'm going to convert over from the old points to an HEI I have and from the multi wire to a one wire alternator.

Can I disconnect the front clip wiring at the firewall, which will take away the voltage regulator, etc, and still fire the car?

What mods do you suggest to the engine harness and starter circuit to convert the above.

It is a 70 with column shift auto trans if that helps.

As usual, thanks in advance for your help

rick

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Why set the alternator up as a one-wire? One more wire from it and the idiot light will operate.
If you take the front clip off what are you planning to do with the battery?
Maybe someone else has some thoughts. If I don't miss something here's mine.
1, A remote starter switch, the kind you get from the auto parts store, can be used to turn the starter.
2, A large toggle switch between battery (+) and the BAT input of the HEI could be used to provide power to the car. Also used to turn it off. Places like Centech will sell a connector and about 15 feet of wire for about $5.00.
I'm assuming the alternator is running otherwise you are running it off the battery only. If you have enough wire, you could bring both switches inside the car so you are behind the wheel. Except for maybe the toggle switch both other items maybe useful to you in the future so you aren't buying stuff to sit in the garage.
My ideas. Maybe someone has a better one.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks John. I have the battery strapped to the front frame horn with a couple large bungee cords. I have not hooked it up as I wanted to run it by you first. Don't want to toast anything. I really am ignorant when it comes to wiring. Scares the devil out of me. :eek:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts