Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Procharger guys! I have one of MJs 467s. I am very happy with it. 9:8:1, 781s, hyd roller 238/[email protected], 578/608 lift. Made 617hp on the dyno. Question is, what would I need to do to Pro Charge it? Just open up ring gap and swap to blower cam.. Which Procharger and how much more power would this net me?I'd like to go EFI and keep this all under the flat hood. I hope I've left enough information. Thanks

·
Registered
454 Posts
You have alot to digest there.
First off, have you called the builder of the engine? That's probably the best bet.

You have many options to your questions.
Right gap, do you need to open it up? No. Should you? Probably.

Blower cam? Same as above. You don't need a blower cam.
At one point in time we hot rodded without blower cams. Honestly the hp and torque curve is going to be the same under boost as it is now, just more power.
Do you like where it makes power now?

The Procharger itself isn't going to make power, the air pump you bolt on that makes pressure does. Wheather that's a Procharger or a set of twin turbos, roots blower, etc.
To give you rough idea of hp you can make that you number 617 and times it by 2 at 14.7psi of boost. Meaning twice atmospheric pressure. Giving you 1,234hp. Now, your probably not going to have it make 14.7psi boost, unless you do the rings, so we need to pro rate the boost level that probably realistic to your engine if you do nothing but bolt on the blower.
5-7 psi is most likely realistic. So for the ease of math we will say 7psi will make 308hp, and put your combo at 910hp. With 5psi, you looking at 825hp.
Those are just basic ball park figures, but you get idea.

The efi question is also a loaded one.
What kind of efi do you want? How much user tuneability do you need. How a much work for the install do you want? For a combo like that I would want MPFI. No tb setup. But that's me. Your needs and desires might be different.

What kind fuel are you going to use? Pump? Race? Or corn juice?

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
X2 on calling Mark first to see what changes he’d recommend for the engine.

Depending on what kind of power you want to make, could go with a smaller D1-x, next up would be a F1. Procharger guys are good to talk to about what could work for your hp goals.

Going multiport EFI will help with fuel distribution and give some help against a cylinder going lean under boost. But, boost creates heat and you lose intake air cooling with MPFI, unless you plan on running E85. If not E85, could use methanol injection to keep heat down assuming lower boost levels. Likely looking at needing an air/air intercooled setup above mild boost levels on pump gas.

Approaching 1000 hp under boost requires a
stout fuel system, so that will have to be substantially upgraded from where you are now, even more so if going E85.

Then have to make sure everything downstream of the engine can handle the added torque you’ll be putting out - trans, driveshaft, differential.
You’ll need to think about your brakes if currently vacuum assisted off engine vacuum, because that goes away with boost. Likely need a vacuum pump, hydroboost, or go manual.

Also, given the pulley configuration with the procharger, nearly all setups I’ve seen use electric radiator cooling fans.

All doable, just needs planning. Good luck.

Reactions: VinceS427bb

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
i have a 12-rib serpentine belt on my 68, it was changed to the 69 up style long waterpump.
it would be alot cheaper to just add a nitrous kit with 200-250hp shot for extreme acceleration :)

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
that is a good chart for roots style blowers
there are many variables, such as intercoolers, type fuel, carb or TBI or EFI and more...

·
Registered
1970 Chevelle SS 454 LS5
114 Posts
Were you planning on using one of the Procharger universal kits for a BBC? If so you have to figure in the front pulley system, you will probably not be able to run factory A/C or power steering and have to make some pretty serious mods to make it work. I installed one of the first Procharger kits P600B on my '94 Z28 about 25 years ago. Yes I know it was a small block. But it ran really good with the twin intercoolers. Made 525 rwhp at 9 lbs boost. Eventually I traded it off for a Vortech V1 because it was a lot quieter (helical cut gears). The car eventually became so fast and squirrley on the street and ate so much gas I took the blower off and just ran it N/A. The blower sitting in my closet now. 😂

·
Registered
12,576 Posts
Too fast, never heard that one!!
id like to do a blower one day just never had 5k plus to spend on it.

525 rwhp in an Fbody had to be a total blast! What other mods did you have? WOuld that bolt up to a non LTx Gen 1 sbc?
Which blower makes all the whistling and clanging? (not a fan)
Love roots style the best just for visual impact but in higher gears a boosted engine is an experice Ill never forget. Just keeps going and going
Could pull some gear and cam out, be more reliable and....LOL
Only dreams are free oh well!

·
Registered
1970 Chevelle SS 454 LS5
114 Posts
I wanted to add on that 355 LT1, had TRW forged blower pistons, lowering the compression ratio to around 9:1. That was with the stock aluminum heads. With your 467 and iron heads, looks like you will have to change the pistons out to make it work. The Procharger has straight cut gears, similar to an M22 rock crusher tranny. The Vortech V1SQ had helical cut gears similar to what most transmissions have. Unless it is race car or you want to be the fastest guy around on the street or run in Street Outlaws, IMO a supercharger is not really needed. Especially on a big block.

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
Before I make that call( he's a busy guy) I need to figure out if I can run it with a short water pump, switch to electric? As its going in a 65 Wagon
they have short pump and long pump kits
mine has the serpentine 12-rib drive belt + 1-vBelt for the power steering + 1-vBelt for the crank/wp/alt..
the kit came with alt, wp, crank, blower, and ps-pump pulleys...
easy to install.
i would look at a D1SC unit with intercooler, and run a carb if able:)

·
Registered
141 Posts
There's not too much space, but it's possible to have also a power steering pump. Here's my 72 with Vortech 7ysi. There is a old style power steering pump with external reservoir under the supercharger. It also has stock mechanical fan.
Stock low compression truck 4 bolt bottom end with 781 heads. About 7.5 static compression, stock cast pistons with piston ring caps enlarged quite a bit. No problems with 10psi of boost with pump gas and no intercooler. Modified Holley 750dp for blow through.

Planning to change for e85, but need to change bigger fuel pump first. Now it has a 355lph AEM in fuel tank and fuel pressure is boost referenced and lowered for carb.

Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Automotive fuel system Auto part

·
Registered
454 Posts
Were you planning on using one of the Procharger universal kits for a BBC? If so you have to figure in the front pulley system, you will probably not be able to run factory A/C or power steering and have to make some pretty serious mods to make it work. I installed one of the first Procharger kits P600B on my '94 Z28 about 25 years ago. Yes I know it was a small block. But it ran really good with the twin intercoolers. Made 525 rwhp at 9 lbs boost. Eventually I traded it off for a Vortech V1 because it was a lot quieter (helical cut gears). The car eventually became so fast and squirrley on the street and ate so much gas I took the blower off and just ran it N/A. The blower sitting in my closet now. 😂
Want to sell it?

·
Registered
1970 Chevelle SS 454 LS5
114 Posts
they have short pump and long pump kits
mine has the serpentine 12-rib drive belt + 1-vBelt for the power steering + 1-vBelt for the crank/wp/alt..
the kit came with alt, wp, crank, blower, and ps-pump pulleys...
easy to install.
i would look at a D1SC unit with intercooler, and run a carb if able:)
Cool, is the blower crank pulley one big piece or does it piggyback on the stock crank pulley (alt and ps v belts)?
I remember running the procharger I always had trouble with the tensioner, it bobbled a lot and the arm seem to deflect a bit. The Vortech one, which I believe was a Ford stock tensioner, had no trouble with.

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
Cool, is the blower crank pulley one big piece or does it piggyback on the stock crank pulley (alt and ps v belts)?
I remember running the procharger I always had trouble with the tensioner, it bobbled a lot and the arm seem to deflect a bit. The Vortech one, which I believe was a Ford stock tensioner, had no trouble with.
it is one piece machined for 2-vBelts and 12-rib serpentine
some kits have a spring loaded tensioner
i have the manual jack screw tensioner style unit.
Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive air manifold Automotive exterior Auto part

Reactions: shovelrick

·
Registered
1970 Chevelle SS 454 LS5
114 Posts
it is one piece machined for 2-vBelts and 12-rib serpentine
some kits have a spring loaded tensioner
i have the manual jack screw tensioner style unit.
View attachment 742622
Sweet! Looks like ur running an intercooler, that's a good idea. Are u running the stock fan, fan clutch, and shroud?
I bet on a cool day that thing picks up like 50 hp. When I drove my '94 Camaro around on PCH (sea level) it was a different car, seemed way faster.

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
Sweet! Looks like ur running an intercooler, that's a good idea. Are u running the stock fan, fan clutch, and shroud?
I bet on a cool day that thing picks up like 50 hp. When I drove my '94 Camaro around on PCH (sea level) it was a different car, seemed way faster.
stock 7-blade fan, no clutch, now using a 71-repo fan shroud.
i'm at a mile hi elevation
it is showing about 625hp at rear wheels based off 1/4mile speed of 126mph :)
left in Drive, only turning about 5800rpm at stripe..

Reactions: shovelrick

·
Registered
1970 Chevelle SS 454 LS5
114 Posts
Want to sell it?
No, I am probably going to sell it and the rest of the parts with the car. I think it would make a good race car. Has subframe connectors, Moser 12 bolt, 6 point cage, etc. Will be putting it on ebay soon. I am the original owner of the car since 1994.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Like others have said, you need to contact Mark for guidance on what needs to be done to the engine. Depending on goals, supercharging requires considerable supporting components, i.e. fuel system, intercoolers, water pumps, etc,. Then you throw in the EFI piece and now you're talking about spending some bucks. Don't want to discourage you, but it gets expensive real quick. The one thing I saw with your combo that would be a potential issue with the blower are the heads. If you want to take advantage of the air flow of a supercharger, then the heads need to accommodate. I'm sure Mark's heads have been worked, but are more geared towards a NA application. Not saying the 781's won't work, they certainly will, but depending on your goals, they could become a restriction.

Here's my F2 blown 540. I've got an obscene amount of money tied up in it. If you do go EFI, I'd recommend Holley HP or Dominator. I'm using the Dominator
Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Automotive design

1 - 20 of 32 Posts