Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a car from S.D and had it shipped here to Colorado and when I first fired it up it had no trouble running but now 4 days later it will die just going up my drive way? Also, when I back it up the drive there is this smell of raw gas. If it is flooding, how is it flooding with the car running? Is it the elevation change? Whats up?
The carb is a 4V Quadrajet
This car has a 350/TH350 setup.

SIDEWINDER

[This message has been edited by SIDEWINDER (edited 02-23-99).]

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sidewinder: You may be a little lean in mixture coming from SD to Colorado (Denver?)but this will not cause the problem that you are experiencing. Assuming that your driveway is not tremendously steep, and that you do not have a high pressure fuel pump on the car, that normally requires a regulator, you sound way rich. The Q-jet has one of three conditions: 1) Make sure that the choke plate is wide open with the engine warm. If not, you have a faulty choke thermostat (spring). If you are O.K. when warm, but rich right after cold start (chugging with a smell of raw gas) then you probably have a bad choke pull off. The pull off is the little diaphragm on the side of the carb that cracks the choke open a little bit as soon as the engine starts. You can put a hose on the pull off and pull vacum with your mouth to see if it works. 2) Sunk float: Most Q-jets use a compositon style float that eventually becomes "water logged" and will no longer close the inlet needle valve. To check it, pull the top off the carb, and see if the float will close the needle when it is at the proper float height. This is shown in a diagram in any carb kit that you can buy. 3) Stuck inlet needle: If the car has no fuel filter on it, or has a crusty, rusty fuel tank (primarilly on the inside) you will eventually flush foreign material into the needle and seat area. A little flake not much bigger than a grain of salt can cause headaches. The easiest way to check for this is by visual inspection of the needle and seat.
Buy a carb kit and a new float for this carb. Unless it has been recently rebuilt, the $30 that you will spend will be well worth it to help isolate the problem. My best guess from past experience with the Q-jet is that the float is sunk. In any event, you will need the carb kit for the new top gasket after you open up the carb to get at the float. Hope that this helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.