Chevelles.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving on the freeway the other day and my speedometer went "Whacko". Once I got past 50 miles per hour it made a noise, kind of like an old clock when it is getting wound. The needle started jumping around to more than 100 mph and then back and forth, then it stayed under 30 mph, that's when I got off the freeway. I started to drive slower and the once the needle got past 30 mph's it made a noise and would go bizerk again. I was going to take my car to get checked on the radiator when this happened. I went back home and parked the car, then I decided to go ahead and take it to the shop (using a different route) and when I drove it the speedometer was working normally, I didn't go over 45 though. The people at the shop looked it over and could find nothing wrong. How do you replace a cable on it (the shop told me it looked like nothing was wrong with the cable, but I think it is old)? What else could it be besides old age?
Thanks.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Sounds like the cable. What year? They attach differently. I've only changed them on the later years.
How did the shop determine it was good? By looking at the outside of it?

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
Usually, on an older car such as yours, all that is needed is to remove the cable from the speedo head, take the inner cable out of the housing and clean it with a solvent rag and dry it best you can with a dry rag and take some lubriplate and relube the cable as you reinstall it in the housing, trying not to get any lube on the last two inches so as not to get any in the speedo head. I think it just unscrews from the head at the speedo. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had a similar thing happen to me in my '66 El C this winter on a 18 degree F morning. The needle went from 70 mph to off the scale (120 plus - rode pretty smooth!) accompanied by a very loud howling noise, and then the needle quickly disappeared completely, and lastly I saw the tail end of the neeedle sticking straight up (I figure about 185 mph, and still riding nice...). The noise stopped shortly afterwards, so I just kept going, since the car was still running O.K.

After I took the dash all apart to get the speedo out, all that was wrong with the speedo was that the long pointer end of the needle got broken off near the shaft. The cheap fix was to find a wrecking yard speedo head for $25 vs. paying $230 or more to get it "restored" - I swapped my original odometer drum to keep the mileage right. The cable was bone dry - previous owner hadn't ever lubed it, and I had put over 80K on it that way, not knowing it was dry. I Lubriplated the old cable, stuck it back in, and it has been working fine for over 10K now. Replacement procedure was as noted in posting above, disconnect from back of speedo, and pull it out from inside the car. When you reinstall, you will need to rotate the cable to get the square dive end to properly engage intothe back of the speed head. I found that speedo repair shops are pretty hard to find nowadays, I struck out, only could find mail order thru internet, or send out thru a GM dealer to AC Delphi repair center (big bucks). Not like 30 years ago when there seemed to be lots of shops, even locally - electronics I guess. Hope this helps,
Jim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts