Team Chevelle banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Did a format & reload on a Dell 4600 & can't adjust the screen resolution. I can't seem to find what I'm missing. I go to the display to adjust but only have 640x480 with 16 bit color. Can't change it.

·
Premium Member
7,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: problems after reloading Dell

Showing default monitor. Have the CD for the monitor but the only files I can find are instructions nothing for drivers or setup. I'll look more.

·
Registered
Super Awesome Guy who rarely logs on
4,994 Posts

You can always try here... http://www.driverguide.com/

or searching google for the actual driver name...:beers:

·
Premium Member
7,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I got :clonk: I missed the xtreme graphics driver.

One more ? it had a wireless card put in but I have no idea what & have nothing to load for it. How can this be addressed?

·
Registered
2,204 Posts

I got :clonk: I missed the xtreme graphics driver.

One more ? it had a wireless card put in but I have no idea what & have nothing to load for it. How can this be addressed?
Check Control Panel > Device Manager > Network Adapters. Write down what you have, and start searching for drivers..However, there should have been a Windows driver loaded for it already with "plug and pray", and this can be checked with device manager also. Right click the adapter (or adapters if you're not sure which one) and look in the status box to see if the device is "working properly".

·
Premium Member
7,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Didn't have any luck with finding any wireless device. :confused: No big deal, I guess it would be just nice to have it.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Didn't have any luck with finding any wireless device. :confused: No big deal, I guess it would be just nice to have it.
Wireless Device is not equal to wireless network card..You can have a wireless keyboard, wireless mouse, etc..

Any wireless network card will be found under the Network Adapters drill down menu. You either clicked the triangle or double clicked Network Adapters, I assume? It's there...Look for 802.11G if that is what your card is. If you are using the internet with that computer, you should see that network card listed under there too as some sort of Ethernet "NIC".

After getting a list of what you have, and verifying that they are working, you can either decide to upgrade your driver by Googling for a driver or leave it as is with the Windows driver. EIther way, you'll probably need to create a new wireless connection to use your card if the computer is new. I am assuming this is NOT a laptop. It it was, in some cases you simply have to turn it on with a hot key or something similar located on or near the keyboard.

·
Premium Member
7,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is an older desk top that had wireless installed at a later time. Has an antenna on the back of it. I'm guessing it was done at Best Buy where she got the router several years ago.

·
Premium Member
69 chevelle malibu convertible
3,424 Posts
The advice from Buzzbomb still applies. The wirless card will not appear as a wireless device, it will appear as a network adapter.

right-click "My Computer"
click Properties
click Hardware
click Device Manager
If the machine sees the card but can't configure it then the "Network Adapters" section will already be expanded with a yellow triangle over the entry for your wireless card
if that is the case, tell us what the name of the entry is with the yellow triangle. it may have some words like "wireless" "802.11" "a/b/g" and perhaps a brand name. tell us what it says there or google it with the word drivers.

if you do not see a network adapter with a yellow triangle it is possible the wireless card is already installed but you need to turn it on, or configure it for the security settings on your wireless router.

good luck.

·
Premium Member
7,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Only shows 2 network adapters.
Phoneline desktop adapter
Intel Pro/100 VE network connection, which is guessing the Ethernet, that works.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Well, the first device you have on there looks like some kind of network sharing device that uses phone lines. You'll have to go to Intel and download the driver from there. Not sure if that device is even supported by XP or not. Looks like a legacy device that is either not supported or requires its own manufacturer driver to work.

Second device is the 10/100 Ethernet card you are using to get on the internet. That's working fine as you can see.

It's possible that your wireless network card is the "Ethernet Controller" listed in Other Devices. You might be able to find a little more about it by right clicking it and reading the properties.

In the "Start" or "Search" box after clicking the start button, (if I remember XP correctly, using Windows 7), type in msinfo32. Then go to Components > Problem Devices. See what it tells you about why those 3 devices aren't working right, which they aren't.

Personally, I'd disable the phone line sharer, the dial up modem, and the wireless card. Right click each one in Device Manager, pick disable. I would then uninstall the driver from the wireless card, but not disable it. Restart the computer to see if XP can find the driver for it. If you want to do it the manual way, you can uninstall all 3 devices by uninstalling any driver and physically removing them from the system. Add in the wireless card first, see if it finds the driver. The other two, unless there is some overwhelming reason to keep them, I'd leave out if you don't use them.

·
Premium Member
7,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I might have it figured out, it was my daughter's comp. at school & she installed the wireless card, not Best Buy like I thought. So she might have the CD for it.

Thanks for the help so far, but I might be back.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts