Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 66 SS with a '70 model M20 and Hurst shifter. After I drive around for a while it will not go into reverse. I have to shut off the engine, then it will go into reverse and works OK. Does this sound like transmission problem or clutch?

------------------
Thanks,
ccrider
Member #:267
66 Chevelle Owner

·
Registered
56 Posts
Sounds like clutch to me. You have to play with the adjustment on them to get it set up ok. Does it grind a little when you finally get it into reverse? If so the clutch isn't all the out.

Jake

------------------
Black 66 SS396
Tubby's Drive In
members.xoom.com/Pgh_Knights/
Pittsburgh PA

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It only grinds if you try to shift into reverse and only after you have driven it for a while. Once it goes into reverse it seems to work fine with no grinding, etc. I spoke with a transmission shop today and they also said it sounds like a problem with the clutch. Hope that's all, a clutch is pretty easy fix and much cheaper than a new trans.

------------------
Thanks,
ccrider
Member #:267
66 Chevelle Owner

[This message has been edited by ccrider (edited 09-28-99).]

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'll lay odds on the clutch. Here's my reasoning, and I'm sure that I will be at least somewhat corrected by someone. Your clutch is slipping all the time (especially after it's heated, after being driven a while). You don't notice this slippage much in the forward gears 'cause those are all syncronized. Reverse gear is not (of course) and so the engine has to be totally disengaged from the tranny before allowing reverse to be selected. Also, the tranny has to stop spinning.

------------------
Phil Wise
67 SS Convertible
(now on the down slope of the resto curve)

·
Registered
56 Posts
I remember reading an article in one of the mags that said that if you shift into first & roll forward an inch or so, then shift into reverse that it somewhat synchronizes that reverse gear. Don't exactly know if that is always right though, especially if the clutch needs a little adjustment!

Jake

------------------
Black 66 SS396
Tubby's Drive In
members.xoom.com/Pgh_Knights/
Pittsburgh PA

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.