Chevelles.com banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received a set of new tank straps for my '69, and I'm not sure if they are correctly made. The screw sits almost at a 45 degree angle, so is this the way they should be installed? It may straighten itself out while you're tighten it, but it just doesn't look right at all. I was thinking about re-bending the end or maybe elongating the larger hole by milling a slot and then use a washer, but I thought I better ask first.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,160 Posts
You might contact Tom aka BlueSS454 on this site.

He had some issues with tanks straps recently and got 'em figgered out.

·
Registered
1971 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu
7,172 Posts
Do you have your old straps to compare them to. Personally I didn't like the new straps and sandblasted my old ones and painted them black. In your case I would make another hole right across from the bigger hole. They should not be on a angle like they are.

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The screws in the old straps were so rusty that I had to "use the force" to get them off the car, so I don't have anything left to compare with. I'm thinking that I could fold the ends in the vise to get the holes to line up better, but drilling a new hole should be easier. Not in my wildest dreams could I have imagined that a manufacturer would be able to F up such a simple thing as a tank strap, but I guess they can. I might just start making the perfect, true bolt in tank strap and get stinkin' rich.

Edit: I looked around on the internet a bit, and it seems like some straps are delivered without a hole. OPGI's video says that the straps are pre-drilled, which makes me think that they could be hooked in and drilled when on the car. Looking at the way they're mounted makes me wonder if the screw is even necessary. They are about 3/32" thick, so it's not like you can pull them out once they're hooked in place.

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
The screws in the old straps were so rusty that I had to "use the force" to get them off the car, so I don't have anything left to compare with. I'm thinking that I could fold the ends in the vise to get the holes to line up better, but drilling a new hole should be easier. Not in my wildest dreams could I have imagined that a manufacturer would be able to F up such a simple thing as a tank strap, but I guess they can. I might just start making the perfect, true bolt in tank strap and get stinkin' rich.

Edit: I looked around on the internet a bit, and it seems like some straps are delivered without a hole. OPGI's video says that the straps are pre-drilled, which makes me think that they could be hooked in and drilled when on the car. Looking at the way they're mounted makes me wonder if the screw is even necessary. They are about 3/32" thick, so it's not like you can pull them out once they're hooked in place.
I think I have some factory ones at my sons garage if you need a pic of them?

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I have some factory ones at my sons garage if you need a pic of them?
Yes, that would be great! I'm really curious to see if that bend should be an angle instead, that would work much better.

·
Registered
11,284 Posts
That's the way mine were. If you have an email I can send you the pictures of mine before and after putting the screws in.

·
Premium Member
1,652 Posts
You will be bending it downward after you install that into the slot, it has to be straight to fit in.

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got some pictures from bracketchev1221, and I think I'm going to install and drill new holes once they're on the car. With the bending involved, the holes will probably be misaligned if I do it before the installation. No big deal, just wanted to be sure that I'm not missing anything. And if this is the most problematic part of the EFI installation, I'm a happy camper. ;)

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
Got some pictures from bracketchev1221, and I think I'm going to install and drill new holes once they're on the car. With the bending involved, the holes will probably be misaligned if I do it before the installation. No big deal, just wanted to be sure that I'm not missing anything. And if this is the most problematic part of the EFI installation, I'm a happy camper. ;)
Do you still need pics?

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey Olle, what tank and fuel pump are you going with?
I got the Holley tank with built in pump. I have test fitted it and found that it's about 1/4" too wide and it's a pain to get in in between the frame rails. Other than that it seems to be a pretty nice setup.

Do you still need pics?
I think the consensus is that the straps are incorrectly made, and I believe I know how to fix it. It wouldn't hurt to see more pictures though.

·
Premium Member
Bill
1,229 Posts
Mine are threaded in square like the above pics.

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, in that case I might give it a whirl in the drill press. It should end up in the correct place if I bend it until the end is parallel with the rest.

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
Well, in that case I might give it a whirl in the drill press. It should end up in the correct place if I bend it until the end is parallel with the rest.
The bottom one in my pic looks crooked compared to the top one, I think it's the angle of the bend in the end

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I finally got them installed last night, and here's some observations: The holes were misaligned by about .30", so I had to drill new holes in the correct places. The straps came without the bend around the rear of the tank, so I had to do some careful bending to make the straps follow the contour of the tank. You can't make the bend by simply pushing them in place, as this will also push the tank forward. I had to bend them a bit at a time while they were hanging straight down, test fit, bend again and so on until they fit correctly. The front bends were "kinda" in the right place, but I still had to do a lot of bending and pushing.

Overall, these straps were more or less just raw material. If I had saved the old straps as templates, I could just as well have had a sheet metal shop cut me some strips and done it from scratch. It would probably have been easier.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts