Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Well as most of you know I have been having some serious trouble with under car rumbling and poor performance. I couldn't figure it out for the life of me. Well today I decided to do a spark plug check and pull the plugs. Come to find out, the plug in the #1 Cyl. had been covered in oil and was fouling. This was causing my drivetrain to rumble horribly. I had no idea. Well as happy as I am that I solved the problem and probably saved myself some money in the meantime, the problem is more than likely bad rings. Uh Oh! I am just glad to have solved the driving problem now. Just another lesson. I figured that I probably flooded the #1 cylinder with oil when I did powerbrakes (not that often either) and the high volume oil pump probably doesn't help any. I just used a wire brush to clean the plug that was caked with oil deposits.

------------------
69 Post

JOHN
1969 Chevelle
http://www.geocities.com/w_surfer99/index.html

·
Registered
21 Posts
I would try a new valve seal. It is real cheap and easy. You need a compressor to pump up the cylinder and an overhead valve spring compressor. It is done in less then an hour without removing the head. I've seen it done on a 350 complete seal job.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Another suggestion (depending on the type ignition system you have), is to install an electronic ignition, like a MSD or equivalent. MSD will fire a plug submerged in a bucket of oil. I used a MSD 6 box on a worn out 396 and it completely eliminated plug fouling.

Caution, it will also make you soil your undies if your not careful
I found that out the hard way!

Rob

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is installing a new valve seal easy for anyone who hasnt done that type of work before? And how much does a compressor cost. What type of compressor is needed. How much does a valve compressor run? Thanks for the replys guys.

------------------
69 Post

JOHN
1969 Chevelle
http://www.geocities.com/w_surfer99/index.html

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
John, it's a piece of cake. The tools to do the job (valve spring compressor and an air hose can be had at most local parts stores) are fairly cheap, I'd say less than $20.00 for both.

Remove both rocker arms for the cylinder you want to change the valve seals on. Remove the spark plug and screw in the air hose fitting. Pump up the cylinder with air, this will keep the valve in place when you remove the springs. Install the valve spring compressor on the rocker stud using the rocker adjusting nut. Compress the spring enough to remove the valve locks. Now remove the spring compressor, spring retainer, valve spring, old valve seal.

Simply reverse the order putting it back together.

Hint: The valve locks usually stick pretty good to the retainers and can be a bugger to pop loose. After I've removed the rocker arms, I like to take a socket that fits the top of the retainer and give it a rap with a hammer to loosen them up, then the locks should come loose from the retainers when you compress the springs.

If you don't have an air compressor, another method is snake in some rope through the spark plug hole, then gently bring the piston up to push up on the valve.

Rob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.