Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a '66 SS. (396, 360HP, auto) One puzzling thing. When looking under the dash in the area of the steering column, there was a light bulb hanging down next to an empty hole where the bulb should be to illuminate the
"Brake" light on the dash. I assumed it went there and inserted it. Now when I turn on the headlights, this bulb comes on and therefore the "Brake" indicator light shines. Do I just have the wrong bulb in the hole, or is there another problem.

I'm rather new at this, and am learning on the fly.

thanks,

gerald

·
Registered
151 Posts
Gerald, you answered your own question. You have a dash lite pluged into the brake warning socket. Fine where the brake warning wire plugs into your brake system, unplug it, ground it, turn the ign. on, then find the right socket under the dash. If the sockets are single wire you must ground the socket base. If it's 2 wire grounding should not be necessary. My Chevelle came with the bulb removed also. The switch in the brake line was defective. Had to upgrade the brake system valves to get everything to work. Good luck.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I usually follow directions well, (my wife will confirm this). But I am missing something here. Patrick, or someone else,if you can, will you explain again. Sorry!

Thanks,

gerald

·
Premium Member
1,746 Posts
Not sure about 66, but in 68, you can tell what light it is by the color of the wires. normal dash lights are on a grey wire. Not sure about the brake light wire though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.