Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having changed cams. I'm in the process of starting the engine again. First off it won't fire, then it backfires through the carb. This has happend before so I figure the timing somehow is off. Go through the whole process and everything is in the correct spot. Put it all back together and the engine finally starts but runs very rough and there is a clatter ,differnt pitch than lifters. I have the engine at about 16 degress advance because thats what I ran with the old cam, and it won't run to well less than that. Can't figure this out. The cam has a duration of 222/222 and .447/.447 lift w/flat top pistons and I put a gear drive on it. I clearanced the geardrive to the specs on the instructions and alligned the dots and put in the 0 advance plug. Any ideas? Thanks

JT

[This message has been edited by L6571SS (edited 03-20-99).]

·
Registered
104 Posts
what type of gear drive did you use? if you used a pete jackson type did you put the idler gears in properly and not up side down? if the idlers are not installed correctly it will make all kinds of noise also when you lined up your timing marks did you install your dist. to #6 that way when you turn the engine over i will be back on #1 just a few things to look for. hope this helps... gene

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup I used the Pete Jackson, I installed it with the big idler on the passenger side, and its pin with the taperd side towards the block. I got the rotor pointed to the #1 cylinder when at TDC. When I started dissasembling the engine I made sure #1 was at TDC and marked where the rotor was in order to get it back correct. I played with it some and got rid of most the clattering, it just runs so rough now. Have the timing at 30 adv. to get the thing to run at 1200.

·
Registered
117 Posts
One thing to keep in mind is that when you align the timing marks on the gear drive (or chain) the #1 piston is at top dead center but on the exhaust stroke not the compression stroke. At this point the distributor should be installed so that it is ready to fire the plug for cylinder #6 not #1. Sounds like you have the distributor 180 degrees out. The engine will run that way but very poorly. Try pulling the distributor up enough to clear the drive gear and turn the rotor 180 degress and drop the distributor back in. Leave all of the sparkplug wires where they are now. Don't forget to back off your timing a little. 30 degrees is quite a bit.

Bob Murray

·
Gold Founding Member
1,347 Posts
A shade tree way of checking is put your finger over plug hole 1 while someone bumps it when the pressure pushes your finger of set it at your mark or if you want take off the valve cover and check the rocker arm position while linning up your marks MIKE

L

·
0 Posts
If the distributor is off 180 degrees, how would it ever start? Assuming you have the dist pointed at #1 plug wire but the engine is on the exhaust stroke for #1, that means that the engine is actually firing on #6. If the dist is pointing exactly 180 degrees the wrong direction, it would never fire.
Check to see that the plug wires are going to the correct cylinders.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did accidentaly line the dots up correctly. Took it appart went through determined there was noting wrong with the cam. Put it back together and it started to run better but still backfired through the carb. Shot the timing forward a ways and it started to run like a beast again. The timing being off was my first thought having done that on my P/U once. My dad had put the distributor in and insisted it was correct. Oh well its going now and I have to say it sounds good and the gear drive is wicked sounding! If anyone asks it's a low profile blower

Thanks for the help

JT

[This message has been edited by L6571SS (edited 03-22-99).]

·
Registered
9 Posts
is your cam supposed to be installed advanced or retarded ,check the cam card .maybe tour firing order is wrong that will make it run ruff.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.