Team Chevelle banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
I think that since the car already has a non-original makes it easier to go with the LS without having second thoughts. It'll definitely be a"turn-the-key-and-go" car with it.
Good luck,
Claude.(y)

·
Premium Member
1970 El Camino SS396, VortecPro 467, ATI TH400, Moser 12 bolt /TruTrac 3:42, Hedman headers
644 Posts
His car, his choices....unless you have money in this game or positive advice you have no other standing other than sour grapes or whining Winnie so be positive, constructive or go play in the swamp.

·
Premium Member
12,188 Posts
His car, his choices....unless you have money in this game or positive advice you have no other standing other than sour grapes or whining Winnie so be positive, constructive or go play in the swamp.
I agree to a point. That being I dont agree that if you dont have anything positive to say then dont say anything at all. This is a public forum and some have different opinions. I support his right to express his displeasure just as much as I support your right to tell him to play in the swamp. Honestly some people are so sensative these days. Why would anyone give a rats ass what someone they never even met thinks of their work. Toughen up people.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Sorry, I gave my unpopular opinion on your first post. I'm glad the chevelle is still on the road and the owner is happy.
That said. Everyone thinks the LS swap is the only way anymore. I don't subscribe that that.
A properly built/tuned/running SBC or BBC will do anything a LS can do.
I just see so many comments about people swapping a LS because of this reason or that, but they didn't even put any time into actually diagnosing and fixing the original engine. Or they just swapped a perfectly good engine because that's what the cool kids are doing.

In full disclosure, I own running sbc's, bbc's, and LS engines.

Hate me or whatever. I don't care. Hate my opinion or not. I also don't care. :p

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
Sorry, I gave my unpopular opinion on your first post. I'm glad the chevelle is still on the road and the owner is happy.
That said. Everyone thinks the LS swap is the only way anymore. I don't subscribe that that.
I just see so many comments about people swapping a LS because of this reason or that, but they didn't even put any time into actually diagnosing and fixing the original engine. Or they just swapped a perfectly good engine because that's what the cool kids are doing.

Hate me or whatever. I don't care. Hate my opinion or not. I also don't care. :p
The LS might not be the only alternative but it's slowly becoming the engine of choice. (y)People don't want big gas guzzlers with troublesome carburetors anymore especially when considering that an LS gives as much power as a big block, idles smooth and starts at the turn of the key and can be surprisingly economical when you are easy on the throttle. What is there not to like?❓

Claude.
P.S: I don't "hate" you... We just have different opinions, that's all...

·
Registered
281 Posts
What is there not to like?❓
Lack of low end power? You have to spin them to moon to get in the usable rpm range....
They are ugly to look at.
Have to have a scan tool or computer to tune them.
When using them in a truck they had no better fuel mileage then a 454. Without the grunt to back up the poor mileage.
Sensors to go out...
Swap wiring to mess with....
Swap cost....

They aren't the perfect solution that the internet makes them out to be.

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Those pesky troublesome carburetors single handedly ruined every SB and BB ever made. How did those engines ever run?! Oh and don't get me started with those old outdated SB and BBs with 570+ hp that idle at 800rpm with AC on. Then there's the super hot outdated cooling that stays at 185* in 110* hot days. Dang those 4, 5, 6 spd transmissions that make 1st Gens get good gas mileage! Stupid HWY gears in high TQ SB and BBs ! Who needs a 1st Gen that starts immediately !

Oh crazy me. That's all my engine! (except for the 4, 5, 6spd).

Please tell me more of this mystical do everything LS/LT doohickey we're all missing !

Give me a break ! Pure sh!t ! Sounds like something someone would say that didn't know crap about how to tune an engine. Or even how it works.

Mike

Reactions: Binford

·
Premium Member
12,188 Posts
The LS might not be the only alternative but it's slowly becoming the engine of choice.
Claude,
Im not going to stomp on your opinion but the LS has a looooooooooooooooooooooong way to go before it becomes the engine of choice. Only a small percentage of classic cars use them. Gas mileage is pretty low on mt list for a classic.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #30

No sweat Binford, we all have our preferences. Thought this was cool of you to reply like that!!! At the end of the day, we are all car guys. And if we ran into each other at a show or swap meet, I'm sure we'd hit off. Don't tell anyone, but I even have friends who drive Fords. (y)

·
Registered
556 Posts
I guess I'm just one of those guys who likes these cars built all kinds of ways. To me they're like a hot woman. If you prefer blondes you would still check out a smoking hot red head or brunette...unless you're playing for the other team! HA HA

I can respect all the time and energy spent in building a number's matching car that looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor in 1967 as much as I can respect a pro touring built car with a supercharged LS, 6 speed, and 18" wheels.

·
Registered
1970 Chevelle
11 Posts
Hey Everyone - I am new to the forum but had to stop by to see what everyone was working on. As a hobby I started doing LS swaps on hot rods and in 2020 I finally got the chance to swap ex-Detroit Tiger, Craig Monroe's beautiful 1970 Chevelle 396SS with an LQ9 and a 4l65e. These videos aren't necessarily instructional in nature but they are quick and fun to watch. If you like what you see, please check out my other content like my 1972 C10 swap and my 2010 LS3 Camaro Cam package. Future plans include a 1950 Chevy 3100 and a First Gen Camaro.

Thanks for checking it out!
Jeff

Thanks for sharing.
i enjoyed the video.
I too got tired of the issues I inherited with the engine in my chevelle and just finished my LS swap. I’m so waiting for warmer weather with my wife and I cruising around and enjoying my high school dream car that she found for me.
my dad was one of those who would pull engines and replace them with larger and better. He fit a flat head into a 4 banger Jeep
I so wish he was still with me to be able to see this blown LS I have now. I put it in my Chevelle with him in mind.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Do not mean to paint them all with the same brush cause they're not all like that but some of the dinosaurs get cranky whenever a old school engine gets pulled in favor of an LS.

Pay no mind to them they're stuck in the past and set in their ways. They still want to believe its 1979 and get offended by today's prices for parts and cars, cause you know they "bought the same car in 1985 for $500 you're crazy for asking that" lol. No point arguing the concept of supply and demand.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Jeff, nice work! I appreciate all the extra work of filming, editing etc that you put in. That stuff takes a ton of time

·
Registered
281 Posts
Do not mean to paint them all with the same brush cause they're not all like that but some of the dinosaurs get cranky whenever a old school engine gets pulled in favor of an LS.

Pay no mind to them they're stuck in the past and set in their ways. They still want to believe its 1979 and get offended by today's prices for parts and cars, cause you know they "bought the same car in 1985 for $500 you're crazy for asking that" lol. No point arguing the concept of supply and demand.
If your talking about me. Since I was first one to make a comment about how the ls swap isn't my jam. .. well... I wasn't even born in 1979. Hell my folks weren't even married in 79... lol.
Thats right. I'm a youngen. And I don't care for LS swaps...

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
If your talking about me. Since I was first one to make a comment about how the ls swap isn't my jam. .. well... I wasn't even born in 1979. Hell my folks weren't even married in 79... lol.
Thats right. I'm a youngen. And I don't care for LS swaps...
Yah right. I'm 47. Pretty close to Dinosaur age I guess.

Those that don't understand how an entire matched system works, like to give credit to the LS/LT based solely on that name or system. Giving no credit to the individual advances in fuel injection, transmissions, heads, electronics, all the internals, tolerances, rear-ends, driveshafts, gearing, suspension, turbos, superchargers, etc. that make the LS/LT what it is. They don't understand that all those advances applied to the LS/LTs can be used on the older GEN engines/cars as well, while diminishing the differences between old and new. So they base one complete older system to a complete newer system with no other changes to justify their belief, or to overcome their own lack of knowledge in basic building and tuning skills. Though many make the change for something different just because they can or want to.

Not because of false or broad claims of,
1. ' It'll definitely be a"turn-the-key-and-go" car with it '
2. ' People don't want big gas guzzlers with troublesome carburetors anymore especially when considering that an LS gives as much power as a big block, idles smooth and starts at the turn of the key and can be surprisingly economical '
3. 'some of the dinosaurs get cranky whenever a old school engine gets pulled in favor of an LS'

All generalized statements with no thought of how advancements across the industry are currently applied to past and present engines. Or the many engines/cars that came before or are current that do not express any of these issues.

So for this 47yr old Dinosaur, the only thing dating back to the older times on my 70 is the block. I like the simplicity. And I actual really like and own the the newer engines. I'm tuning three in classic cars this weekend as I do it on the side.

I don't care what anyone does. You just make yourself sound uneducated in engines with narrow and short focused statements. Especially to a car site with unmeasurable years of experience whos cars run just fine.

Mike

21 - 40 of 59 Posts