Team Chevelle banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone - I am new to the forum but had to stop by to see what everyone was working on. As a hobby I started doing LS swaps on hot rods and in 2020 I finally got the chance to swap ex-Detroit Tiger, Craig Monroe's beautiful 1970 Chevelle 396SS with an LQ9 and a 4l65e. These videos aren't necessarily instructional in nature but they are quick and fun to watch. If you like what you see, please check out my other content like my 1972 C10 swap and my 2010 LS3 Camaro Cam package. Future plans include a 1950 Chevy 3100 and a First Gen Camaro.

Thanks for checking it out!
Jeff

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't need to justify my opinion or the owner's goals for the car, but I'm going to anyway. The car had a 454 block from a mid-70s truck in it and it had been rebuilt twice in a period of 2 years and was routinely out of time. The owner is a true muscle car fan but not a gear head like some of us. He wanted to be able to jump in the car, no matter the temperature, turn the key, and go for a drive. Now he gets 18mpg cruising and somewhere in the ballpark of 375-400whp.

So here's the deal, we're all car guys, otherwise we wouldn't be here. Instead of bashing others for not doing the exact same thing you do (which would be boring for everyone), take a minute to appreciate that the hobby is alive and well. Lets be ambassadors and encourage passion in what we love!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Well I didn't watch your whole video, but it seems like it was a original 396. And to that I say it's a waste. Even a smogger 454 it's a waste. But less of one. To bad the money wasn't put into the 454. No reason why you can't jump in the car, no matter the temperature, turn the key and go for a drive with a big block.

·
Registered
71 Posts
If the car is an original 70 SS396 (rarer than SS454 BTW) without its original engine, as you stated ("454 block from a mid-70s truck in it") I see no issues whatsoever with replacing the engine with something else - LS, another BB, whatever.
It's kinda like what happened waaaaay back in the day - guys replaced their original engines with something bigger/more powerful/etc. before anyone knew (or cared) about "numbers matching".
The Chevy Parts Dept. at the dealerships did a fair business selling LS6, L88, and LT1 (etc) engines over-the-counter before there was anything like Jegs or Summit or a million crate engine companies out there.

Even if you were to replace the original engine with an LS/LQ9... I wouldn't have a problem with that - Unless you got rid of the original, numbers matching engine, then I would. That kind of thing happens all the time, guys pull their original drivetrain for a modern or "more street-friendly" one so they can drive and enjoy their cars and not worry about putting miles on the original "valuable" engine. Some will even just put an OD transmission behind the original engine for the drivability - I know, "blasphemy"....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I didn't watch your whole video, but it seems like it was a original 396. And to that I say it's a waste. Even a smogger 454 it's a waste. But less of one. To bad the money wasn't put into the 454. No reason why you can't jump in the car, no matter the temperature, turn the key and go for a drive with a big block.
Thanks for the warm welcome to my first day as a member in the forum. Own to his each! ;)

·
Registered
1969 El Camino SS396
848 Posts
Wow a perfectly good big block to an LS. What a waste.
The original engine and transmission are gone. At that point it doesn't matter but I would have kept a BBC in it. I was afraid they swapped the original engine for an LS which is not cool.

Reactions: Binford

·
Registered
1966 Malibu, 327, Muncie, 3.55 posi
71 Posts
I enjoyed watching that. Reminded me of the first time I helped put a new motor in my previous 66'. A guy who rented my parents' house did all the building and work in his garage. I learned quite a bit but never enough to do any swaps on my own. I have always been the helper, go for parts, or get McDonald's. Those are good times. Glad to see you were both having fun.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I enjoyed watching that. Reminded me of the first time I helped put a new motor in my previous 66'. A guy who rented my parents' house did all the building and work in his garage. I learned quite a bit but never enough to do any swaps on my own. I have always been the helper, go for parts, or get McDonald's. Those are good times. Glad to see you were both having fun.
That's awesome... glad I could bring back some good memories for you! Thanks for checking out my videos. I do this with good friends who love cars and whose knowledge ranges from "never changed the oil before" to "just replaced a blown head gasket last weekend". It was fun to see Craig get to do some of the stuff very few people ever get a chance to do, like swap a cam or pull a motor knowing that he's never even changed the oil before. Those memories are priceless!!!

Thanks for watching!! (y)

·
Premium Member
8,681 Posts
Thanks for the warm welcome to my first day as a member in the forum. Own to his each! ;)
Welcome to Team Chevelle I haven't had a chance to check out your link but I will.The OE engine was most likely gone a long time ago so however you want to make it is fine by me. Also if you want to start a build thread on the car there is a forum just for that too.

Reactions: JeffLyle79

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
7,432 Posts
Welcome to Team Chevelle :)

1 - 20 of 59 Posts