Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '72 El Camino has had the cluster replaced with the factory SS Guage version. I have problems like the tach works for a few weeks then stops for a few weeks; sometimes both turn signal arrows are dimly lit all the time with headlights on, and at that time the fuel guage reads E; and
even the clock will work for weeks or months then quit for months. Have notice printed circuit is brittle & curled, might replacement solve these problems? How difficult is it to replace? :confused:

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
It's always better to identify the problem before replacing components. The fact that everything works at times makes me think the circuit card is not necessarily bad. From your description it may be the cluster ground is intermittent. Check the ground connections at parking brake assembly and at
the cluster back.

If that doesn't correct the problem. You may have already checked the cluster wiring connecter, if not you will need to remove the dash pad. Disconnect the wiring connector and check for anything obvious on both the connector and the circuit card. Clean the contact points and reconnect. You can use very fine sandpaper to clean the contacts, the finer the better like around 600 grit, or better yet an ink eraser.

If the condition persists and a new circuit card is needed post back. Myself or someone else can give you some tips.

·
Super Moderator
9,573 Posts
I have seen this type of problem before. Check the ground on the back of the headlight swich and make sure the swich is in tight. If it is not you will get a ground loop that halts the tach (no ground) and will leave the signal light indicators on in a dim state.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts