Team Chevelle banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just built in my brand new Chevy SB 350 cui, which has never been run before.

I drilled the oil pump for a while, but no oil came out of the push rod.
It was pretty difficult to drill the pump, because the screw driver went out of pump, at least when I drilled faster.

How long do I have to drill it, and how fast (rpm)?

Thanks for your help

Tom

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
You have to use a 'priming' tool. It blocks the passages that the distributor blocks to allow pressure up to the top of the engine. They're about 20 bucks. You can make one out of an old dist but time is money................

·
Gold Founding Member
10,967 Posts
Or grind the gear teeth off of an old points-style distributor, and use a long machine screw and jam nut as a cranking handle.

Anything faster than about 80 RPM is wasted effort. I crank it by hand about one revolution per second--or a bit faster. I prime for about fifteen seconds more than it takes to get ~40 psi at the oil pressure gauge.

·
Premium Member
11,203 Posts
And turn the engine 1/4 turn prime, turn the engine, prime, etc......
You'll have oil in no time

·
Premium Member
2,406 Posts
No, don't buy that it's a waste of money. Notice the one Webfoot posted, it has the seal that will force oil to the top of the engine. The one you posted doesn't and you might as well just keep going at it with a screwdriver and drill, no difference.
I bought it about a week ago :clonk:I just don't like to keep asking questions. Don't want to wear out my welcome. Guess I should have asked this one though, could have saved a few $$

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
Keep asking, Bill. Even if you are only confirming what you may already know (or think you know). The questions you ask and the answers you get serve to teach not only you, but the rest of us that read them. I always try to do a search first - a lot of answers already exist here.

·
Premium Member
6,740 Posts
Like Wayne said, ask. If you don't want to ask use the search. This topic has been discussed many times with pics of both the correct and incorrect priming tools. There isn't much about these cars and engines in general that hasn't been discussed more than once.

·
Premium Member
6,172 Posts
I wore out my welcome long ago, but I keep coming back anyway. Ask away, we're here to help and save you money.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
autozone will give it to you, you just leave a deposit, and when you're done, you can take it back and get your money back.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts