Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend offered to sell me 67 SS that his brother has left on his Farm. It has seious rust problem but is all there. The interior is kind of ratty but the seats and console look good. It is a four speed. No serious denting. The engine ran when parked there 3years ago. thanks in advance.

regards
jgallagher

·
Registered
313 Posts
Depending on original color combination, other options, and if motor, trans, and rear end are matching originals, I'd guess I would top out around $3000, if the rot is not to bad and there is some paperwork to support it. See what the guy did to the 67SS in the latest Chevelle World from ACES. You are talking major bucks to restore, but if you don't mind taking your time, it might be fun. Also see the back of the Year One Chevelle catalog for a good discussion of car grading. Read it, grade the car, and then price other cars of the same grade around the country to see if you have a decent deal going. I paid $1750 for a Malibu that had a straight frame, good body and was in running condition. Salvaged what I could and am building a clone. I was not willing to start off with $5000 in a SS, then build the car that would end up not being a true SS anyway (I want my 502).
John Walker

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
jgallagher -

Walker's probably about right on this one. The real question is what your intentions are. To start out with a car that would need everything redone to be nice is very expensive. Unfortunately, project cars are scarce, and when you do find them, they're often in the shape of the one you describe. The mid-level cars (tired paint, worn seats, but solid body and running & driving) seem to be the hardest to come by. If this one would be a keeper, and you've got some $$ to work with, then maybe you should go for it, especially since the pickings are slim in the midwest. But there are better cars to start with out there. It just requires patience. Good luck & let us know how you do.

------------------
Rainer
'68 SS396
'70 LS3 400 Malibu
[email protected]

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess maybe I'll pass on the chevelle and try to get my 66 Nova drivable. Maybe by then I will run into a chevelle in better shape.I was looking for a 67 chevelle when the Nova popped up. I guess I still am looking for a chevelle but did not know it until now. the good thing about the Nova is it has wheels and drivetrain in it (unlike when I bought it). The bad thing is I have a long way to go on it. Thanks for the help I appreciate the time you took to reply.

John gallagher
carlisle,Iowa

·
Registered
258 Posts
67 SSs are theee best! I paid $3100 for a well worn rust free, previously wrecked and poorly repaired car. 9 YEARS AGO!

I figure $3,000 is about right. It will cost you at least $25,000 to restore to original tho. That's hiring a professional to do the paint and body, professional tranny and rear end rebuild, and new everything from Year One, Muscle Factory and Ground Up.

If you want to go nuts on the motor, add another 2-3K.

I want my next project to be a 66 Nova dragster or pro touring car. Maybe I'll call you when I'm ready!

------------------
Jameel Qazi
#'s 67 SS

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jamel:

Look me up when it comes to putting together a Nova. Ive learned the hard way the in's and out's of doing this. I think my significant other would let me get the chevelle if I wanted to. I know this because I told her I found a 56 Nomad that a guy had in storage that I wanted. She thinks Nomads are "ugly station wagons." So to keep me from buying a Nomad I think she would relent to me pulling home another restorer. Getting her to put her pathfinder outside of the garage might be a trick though (my Nova is in the other stall). I guess if you threaten to buy something they really hate they will let you get about anything else you want and still think they have achieved a victory.

I do have a question. Are the consoles and buckets the same out of a 67 Impala SS as a 67 Chevelle SS?

Thanks
John Gallagher

·
Registered
687 Posts
Call James Hinshaw at Hinshaws Chevelle.He can tell you if the seats and consoles are the same.You can find his # under the vendors section.He's only open till 12 on Friday's est.

------------------
John 67SS
ACES #2887

·
Administrator
3,376 Posts
Save the dime on the phone call. They are not the same.
The only console that is the same as a 67 is a 66 (there are some minor differences).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.