Team Chevelle banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I borrowed a friends 1800 psi Karcher (K 3.68M) electric pressure washer to clean my deck in prep for stain & sealing. After about 20 minutes of continuous use it simply stopped working. Friend said it does that all the time and just keep the wand trigger depressed until it comes back on. I kept it pressed until I got cramps but it never came back on.

I did like it though so while his was taking a break, I bought the same unit. Working along fine, took a break after about the same time or maybe longer, and, well, it won't work just like the first one. Depress the wand's trigger and nothing happens.

Brought his back out after sitting for about 6 hrs. and it worked until - you guessed it - the first time I released the trigger. Then, nothing.

Both units were plugged into different outlets, no house breakers being tripped, test on both unit's plugs are fine. Is working them 20-30 minutes at a time just working them too hard? Anyone have similar troubles with the electric units?

·
Premium Member
8,798 Posts
Mine used to quit like that, I put a two by four under the front of the base so it sets more level but actually tilts back just a tad.

She runs now without shutting down.

Oops I missed it, yours is electric and mine is gas driven, anyway.

Rob

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Yeah I had a crapstman 3000psi elec washer and it did some of the same stuff even after i purged it... ended up taking it back and just went to harbor freight...bought for 90 bucks and has worked fine for the last year

·
Registered
269 Posts
I'm (un?)fortunate enough to be a Karcher authorized service center. Here's what I can tell you:

Electric Pressure washers suck, all of them. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that's the bottom line. I have had electric's that have come in haven't worked AT ALL!

The bypass valves are sticking open, causing the water to simply not be pressurized in the pump head, I've seen it dozens of times. If they sit with water in them whatsoever, even for a short period of time, they'll get calcium deposits on the plastic valves, which use very weak springs, and thwy won't seal, henceforth no pressure.

Bottom line, 15 years ago, NOBODY had a pressure washer, unless you were a shop. Now, gramma and grampa have them, the cost is way down, as is the quality. My recommendation? Get a Cat or similar Axial pump, they are cam driven, and seldom fail. They're also $1,000 bucks. Let me know if you need any help or parts, my shop number is (605)229-5284. Justin

·
Registered
269 Posts
Oh yeah, next time it acts up, fill it up with WD-40 and let it sit over night, then try it the next morning. Sometimes that frees up the valves. Other than that, if you're storing it long term, fill it with RV antifreeze and put the hoses back on. That's all I know!

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
... went to harbor freight...bought for 90 bucks and has worked fine for the last year
I probably have the same one, only mine is 3 years old. It stays in the garage all winter. When I plug it in in the spring, it works. I usually do the entire house in spring, and 4 or 5 times for projects during the summer months. I figure by the time it gives up for real, I would have spent enough to buy another one on winterizing supplies for it.

If you are going to buy low quality, buy the cheap low quality so that you won't care if it quits ;)

K

·
Premium Member
19,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh yeah, next time it acts up, fill it up with WD-40 and let it sit over night, then try it the next morning. Sometimes that frees up the valves. Other than that, if you're storing it long term, fill it with RV antifreeze and put the hoses back on. That's all I know!
Fill up what with WD-40? Spray some in the water intake line? The unit I bought is new. Could it get calcium deposits that quickly?

·
Premium Member
13,728 Posts
I have had 2 electric pressure washers and they suck...I have had my 4500 psi Simpson now for 7 years now and it kicks ass:yes: They are not cheap but you get what you pay for that's for sure. I can cut through 3" of solid concrete with mine if I want to, its great to drill a hole with it. Crank it up and test your strength it will kick your ass, LOL

·
Registered
837 Posts
The cheap Karcher electrics are pretty much junk sorry to say. I was thinking about getting one so I wouldn't have to haul out my big gas one for small jobs, but every review I read on them was pretty dismal, maybe 30% of people who buy them are satisfied. I just don't think they have the power to keep running very long at a time.

I built mine myself, I had a 5 HP gas engine laying around, bought a cheap Comet pump that's 2.5 GPM 2700 PSI, about $300 total worth of parts and it's been running for about 10 years now no problems. It'll go just as long as the tank has gas :)

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
i had an electric karcher also...given to me as a gift one year...it did all of the same things you describe, would quit periodically and for no reason...finally one year i left some water in it and it froze and cracked. i was happy to put it out at the curb.

i like the cheapies that you can get at home depot that have a honda motor in them..quiet and are great for most things around the house that you'd need them for. around $300 i think.

·
Premium Member
19,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I really got it for this one job and maybe an occasional driveway & car cleaning. Guess I tried to get by too cheaply. I'll do some shopping around for an 1800-2000 psi gas unit; that should suffice for my needs. Appreciate the help and so quickly too. Thanks! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
269 Posts
Yes, they can go bad that quickly, to be honest. I've seen countless pressure washers, I have about 8 of them to work on this week actually, and sticky bypass valves is about 60% of the problem.

While we're talking about pressure washers, here's a free tip--BEFORE you hook up the garden hose, turn the hose on for a second to flush out the end! I have seen a bunch of pressure washers with small rocks in them, sticking the valves open. When you flop the hose down, a lot of times it's wet, and dirt will stick to it. That dirt, even though most pressure washers have an inlet screen, will get through and cause headaches.

As far as the WD-40, yes, tilt it however it needs to be so it holds as much as possible. It works slightly better on the gas powered washers, because you can spin them over slowly with the rope to cycle the pump, but you can just bump the switch quickly on an electric too. This isn't a magic bullet, but it is $2.00 well spent in WD-40 if it cures it, even for the season! Any more PW questions feel free to ask. Justin

·
Premium Member
8,798 Posts
I went out and looked at mine, I bought it in 2003 from Menards, a Karcher hd 3100psi, 9 horse robin/subaru engine. It hasn't had to be worked on, yet. I'm probably lucky, I run stabil in everything year round, I guess I can't remember when I had to put a spark plug in a mower or snowblower or whatever.

However I bring them into the heated garage and leave it at 70 all night once every three months then start them up the next day and warm them up good.

I never drain the gas or anything like that, just stabil.

Rob

·
Premium Member
8,798 Posts
Oh, Justin thanks for the tip on the hose:thumbsup: never would have even thought about it, I'm sure my two sons check the hose though when they borrow it:noway::)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts