Team Chevelle banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have several small parts that I am blasting and will have powder coated. What do I need to do after blasting them to prep them to take to the powder coater? They might be sitting in the shop for a few weeks/months until I go have them done. What is the best way to keep them from rusting and have them ready to powder coat when the time comes??

·
Premium Member
8,794 Posts
When you blast them, get some of those cheap brown cotton gloves, and use them to handle the parts, then wrap them up in masking paper and tape it so its sealed pretty good, then put the parts in a cardboard box.

Don't use garbage bags, or handle them with your bare hands.

One of the biggest mistakes, for a bead blaster anyway, is putting greasy or oily parts in it, then the guy bead blasting takes the parts back out of the blaster with greasy hands, plus he contaminated his blasting media.

If you handle these parts right and don't have a lot of humidity, they will stay good for several years, I painted some sandblasted parts that set around for 5 or 6 years, never cleaned them, just blew them off and painted.

If you get parts like cast iron that have been blasted, and they get grease spots on them, I use a little spray can with lacquer thinner, spray them off, then take a air gun and blow it off like in a sheet from one end to the other.

Then, because of some of this lacquer thinner isn't up to par, I give it the same treatment with acryiclean, blow it off the same way.

Rob

·
Premium Member
27,555 Posts
You might want to save your time and effort.
Most powdercoaters prefer to have a freshly blasted surface just before coating. He'll probably want to do the blasting himself. I know I do.
Ask whoever is doing the job what they prefer...

·
Premium Member
5,539 Posts
When I had my frame sandblasted, the p/c told me to spray the whole thing with WD40 if it was going to sit longer than 1 day after being blasted. The blasting company obliged, and that's how I took it to the p/c. They washed & baked all parts in their oven before coating.

No complaints, and it came out great. The p/c company I use doesn't do their own blasting. There was another company that I used to go to that would do their own blasting if you wanted them to, but they charged $75/hr for blasting, so I always had it done elsewhere.

·
Registered
156 Posts
call the powdercoater and see if they clean the parts beforehand. when i had my wheels done, they put them in their washer and cleaned them up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts