Team Chevelle banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Availability of fittings has been a bit of a challenge in plumbing the air to water intercooler. The outlet and inlet on the water tank is 1-1/4" and the intercooler uses a #10 ORB. I wanted to run 3/4" hose to and from the intercooler. The challenge was finding the fewest number of fittings to get me there on both ends. The final two pieces were delivered by Amazon at 4PM yesterday. By 4:30PM I had water in the tank and took it for a quick drive. I put a bit of ice in the 5 gallon tank before adding the water and it was pretty much melted by the time the tank was full. So the water was probably about 70 degrees when I fired the engine. I warmed it up until it was 180 and then I turned the fans and intercooler pump on. At that point the intake temps were just over 100 degrees. Without the water it would be at 140. Unfortunately I didn't get to make any WOT runs. I snapped the throttle to WOT for a second or so and it wasn't running right. My 2nd fuel pump wasn't coming on. My new fuel pump is supposed to be delivered on Wednesday and the car gets retuned on Friday. After the tune I'll fill the tank with ice and see how cold I can get the intake temps. With 32 degree water I hope to get the temps into the 50's during a 5 second pull. The wife and I drove the car to a local get together last night. It ran great down the freeway.

Getting on the Freeway

Pulling into the 209 Hot Rod Events Get Together with the 69 Camaro

Tire Wheel Car Sky Vehicle

Sky Car Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle

Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive parking light

Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Cloud

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Looks great!
Do you think if you turned on the circulator pump when you started the car, the intake temp might have been lower?
I've got the pump on the rocker switch for the radiator fans. So as soon as I turned the fans on it starts circulation. so as I drove around with the fans on it was pumping water through the intercooler which warmed up the water. And the water was only maybe 70 degrees when I put it in the tank. I was expecting to do more testing but the fuel pump kept me from doing it. I Thanks!

Love this set-up. I'll be very interested to hear how the intercooler performs.
Thanks!

Was going to say your intake temp still seem high. My air-air setup very rarely see over 120-130. Most of the time around here I am 75-100

test more I am sure it will drop below what I note
This was a preliminary test with 70 degree water going into the tank. My car does not have a heat exchanger to cool the water in the tank as I drive. I set it up so that it's real easy to drain the system and fill it with ice and water. Once I replace the 2nd fuel pump I can do a WOT test with ice water. Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts