Team Chevelle banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
Central Iowa
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which pressure washer are you folks useing that will be fine for home use and accually gets a car clean and not suck to much water useing standard home water pressure?

Also, does anyone preffer a certian (vehicle wash concentrate) that is used with these home units over another or are they all about the same?

I am sick of spending at car washes and with the weather here in the midwest (slpop, slop slop!). as of late I believe one of these would pay for it self fairly soon!

Half the car washes wont even get all the crud of my vehicles unless I I spend 7 to 10 bucks. (fed up!) Then you got to wait in line and its getting crazy at those places if you know what I mean?

Thanks for your opinions as I am going out TODAY to get one.
I have my eye one the 6 horse Honda at Northern Tools I could use with some warm faucet water useing a T connector.

Thanks, Dan

·
Premium Member
4,163 Posts
I have an electric one from Husky that home depot sells. Its good enough for what I use it for although I could never get the soap reservoir to work. I use it for vehicle washing, deck cleaning, gutter cleaning. Works good enough for that.

·
Registered
6,633 Posts
The Honda that you mentioned would be a nice unit.. I have a Craftsman that was given to me, it works OK but I really only use it to clean the quads after riding & to clean the driveway..

I usually just hose my truck off with hot water to get the salt off, you'd be amazed on how much will come off IF you have a good coat of wax on it.. If the streets are clear, I'll pull it in & wash it with the bucket and sponge, I have never dragged out the pressure washer just to wash the truck.....

But to each his own :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
I have a Generac that I bought at Home Depot as "refurbished". It is a 5 or 6 hp (I don't remember which) and goes up to 3700 psi. It is plenty powerful...my hand got in the way of the high pressure end several years ago (don't ask...I'm still not sure exactly how I managed that!) and I blew a hole through my hand (and nearly took my finger off).

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Like Gotago, I have the same thing. I ilike it because:

It's electric - No gasoline, no problems to fix
It turns itself on & off
It's QUIET! -0- noise when you're not spraying
Fully adjustable nozzle settings

If you need more power for serious deck & concrete re-finishing, go with a big gas powered unit, like Honda. If it's just for washing cars, parts & mild household maintenance, go electric.

When, someday, I get my shop, I'd like to have mine plumbed and ready to go. Just plug it in and turn a few hose valves with the hose and wand hangin on the wall.

trivial info: If you any clothing, sneakers or whatever that has a stain that you can't get out, try a power washer! It'll take out almost anything. be carefull not to have a super-fine nozzle setting as it can destroy the fabric. Start wide and work to a finer spray to achieve the desired results.

Oh, and ah, don't tell your wife how you removed the stain. Just wash it afterward and tell her it's in the tecnique!

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I am on my second KARCHER electric pressure washer. I paid $100 for the first one (1200 psi), and it lasted about 6 years before giving up. The new one is 1650 psi, and I think I paid about $140 at Sams Club. I like the electric ones because they are very compact, and space is limited in my garage. The are also very easy to cary and use them where you need them. I use mine to clean the exterior (brick, concrete, and windows) on my house, and of course to wash the cars. It has enough pressure to help get the crap off the cars, but leave the paint where it's supposed to be!

·
Gold Founding Member
3,080 Posts
I don't know the brand but I don't use it on the car. When I first got it I etched the concrete drive and peeled a little bit of paint off of the steel siding on the garage. Yes I know you can drop the pressure but I don't want to risk damaging the paint. I don't mind using the sponge and bucket myself. I think mine is about 2200 psi gas engine.

·
Registered
13,362 Posts
Sears, gas powered, 2400psi, 4 different nozzle tips.
I have my hot water heater turned up to max (150deg) and connect the supply hose to a faucet in the garage with only the hot turned on.

·
Premium Member
Central Iowa
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I went with the Honda Comet 6 HP 2.5 GPM @ 2700 PSI, up to 140 degree temp capibilty. 2 yr warranty. With in house at northern store for repairs if needed.
Reg price $459. $60 off till March 13th... Also got the Northern credit card that allowed 12 months no interest that got me 10% more off... saving another $40 so total was $359
and a savings of $100.
I know it probably wont get all the gunk off ... and will be likely sometimes useing wash mit and bucket to polish my vehicles after pressure washing to finish off the job...but at least I will be able to get the job done without spending at those car washes that wont get the road grim off either.

This wont be used on the Chevelles as they dont see the road grim as my daily drivers do (TRUCKS) I am going to attach a kitty to the side and try to drop in $5 every time I use on my trucks and other odd jobs and pay for fuel... I got a feeling I will have this puppy paid off buy the end off summer. I hope it last at least through the 2 yr warranty period!

Also, this can be paid off early with no penalty before the 12 month interest free period is up... if it works that good and I am happy with it I may just pay it off next month when my first bill arrives.
I let you folks know if it is junk... or if it works Ok for one of the lower price units.

Dan

·
Registered
684 Posts
When you live on a dirt road in Kansas you WILL use a pressure washer a lot.
I have a Honda gas powered 2800 psi with multiple tips (soap, 45, 25, 15, 0 degree). Then I have brush attachments you can buy separately that works great for the tough stuff. I also NEVER use the 0 degree tip on my vehicle, not unless you want the bare metal look... I bought mine at Home Depot for around $350'ish I think. It was a great investment and has paid for itself 2 times over.

And I have/had a gas 10 hp Campbell Hausfield (sp) 3400 psi that the pump crapped out and they want just as much for the pump as a whole new unit. So I'll use the engine in go-cart or something... But it lasted for 6 years with regular use.

It I had some extra cash to spend I'd go with a Hotsy Steam Cleaner unit. Grease and oil just melt away when you go after it with steam.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts