Team Chevelle banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know the expiration time on ppg dp90lf and dp402lf.

I have heard 7 years on the paint and 2 years on the hardener, if unopened.

Theres a date on the bottom of the paint 9 14 04, but it looks like lot numbers on the hardener, like j68802 k79567 l90204 on the bottom of the cans.

Local paint guy called there hot line two days ago, and no reply yet.

Thanks.

Rob

·
Registered
245 Posts
Rob,I used PPG many years ago before switching to Glasurit the DP90 has a very long shelf life,but the hardner begins to jell-up not sure how long but I would just buy new hardner and not take any chances.

·
Premium Member
8,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Thomas, I picked some up here locally, but I don't know how much of this stuff he sells, probably not much, and it was news to him that there is an expiration date, so I don't know how old this stuff I just bought is. Its probably okay.

So now I have lots of hardener, good thing I marked the older ones I have, or maybe older:)

Rob

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
Rob,according to your date codes they both expired in 2004,ppg has extended the life after this date but 3 years is well past that. I would take it back to your guy and have him order new cans, i had to do this several times. Alan

·
Premium Member
8,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alan, I just talked to a ppg tech rep just now, he's the only Dave in the department, and he says 6 years on unopened hardener and 7 years on the paint for expiration, I wonder what the deal is here, talk to me if you could. Heres what he says.

DP90LF 7 years unopened, on this one gallon it has a date on the bottom of the can that says Dp90Lf J69500 09/14/04 268

I now have four cans of hardener DP402Lf

Two of them have only these numbers on the bottom J68802

Two others have K79567 and L90204

He told me these are the years for hardener on the bottom of the can

M is 2007
L is 2006
I&J is 2004
H is 2003
G is 2002
F is 2001

I read on one of these forums that 2 years was the limit on hardener, but not according to him, maybe we should sort this out.

I wonder what spi or some of the others are doing on this.

Rob

·
Registered
1 Posts
Let me tell you that the DP401LF and the DP402LF both carry a 6 year unopened shelf life, and a 14 day recommendation once they are oopened. The primer itself regardless of color are rated at 7 years unopened and 1 year once they are opened.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
8,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I read somewhere, but i don't know which forum, it was two years on hardener, I wonder if thats the way it used to be, and they updated it, I know a lot of other type hardeners z-chrome and some fillers can go bad, just want to get to the bottom of all of it.

Rob

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
Alan, I just talked to a ppg tech rep just now, he's the only Dave in the department, and he says 6 years on unopened hardener and 7 years on the paint for expiration, I wonder what the deal is here, talk to me if you could. Heres what he says.

DP90LF 7 years unopened, on this one gallon it has a date on the bottom of the can that says Dp90Lf J69500 09/14/04 268

I now have four cans of hardener DP402Lf

Two of them have only these numbers on the bottom J68802

Two others have K79567 and L90204

He told me these are the years for hardener on the bottom of the can

M is 2007
L is 2006
I&J is 2004
H is 2003
G is 2002
F is 2001

I read on one of these forums that 2 years was the limit on hardener, but not according to him, maybe we should sort this out.

I wonder what spi or some of the others are doing on this.

Rob
Rob, I will check with My rep tommorow, just to be sure.

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
Rob, my rep tells me that the base expiration is 3-5 years but the catalyst should be no more then 2 years. That being said you may get away with using it even after those dates but you may be taking a chance. he said to be sure it is still good mix up a small amount and spray a test area if it dries with any kind of shine the catalyst is no good. this indicates the epoxy isn't drying correctly and could be a problem when top coated.

·
Premium Member
8,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Should we get the full names of your rep and the guy from ppg and get them together and figure out whats what, I don't to create a problem for them, but they need to get there stories straight, what do you think.

Rob

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
Should we get the full names of your rep and the guy from ppg and get them together and figure out whats what, I don't to create a problem for them, but they need to get there stories straight, what do you think.

Rob
I honestly don't take either as gospel but that being said I had and incident with some ncp250, after spraying my fenders and top coating, the paint began to crack. it turns out the catalyst was expired. We contacted ppg and were told that the expiration was 18 months past the date, i went to a different supplier for some replacement catalyst and i question the dates with them. We called ppg again and was told that they decided the expiration is now 2 years. as a result this supplier did't have to send back his stock for replacement. I think some of the problem is ppg isn,t moving enough product.
Also consider that the conditions that the material was stored under also effects the expiration, was the product exposed to a wide range of temp changes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts