1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
Look in the Richmond gear website for the Lock-Right - I use them and they are a great compromise for cost, effectiveness and driveability. They do make some clicking noises in turns which you need to get used to. "National Gear" sells them direct to the public. Look them up on the web. Best price I found and good service.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You asked the guy's on the 4x4 forums where their getting them for $100 ?

No, I was reading a bunch of reviews about them and I saw a ton of guys that had been paying under $200 for em. I'm not a member of the 4x4 sites that why I didn't ask. But I think I found somewhere that's cheaper than the one on eBay hopefully.

·
Registered
173 Posts
No, I was reading a bunch of reviews about them and I saw a ton of guys that had been paying under $200 for em. I'm not a member of the 4x4 sites that why I didn't ask. But I think I found somewhere that's cheaper than the one on eBay hopefully.
Any chance you could pass along that info? I'm looking to pick one up on the cheap for my truck.

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
Like I noted above - check out NATIONAL Gear - on their website, then call them direct.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BTW, do all 8.5 10 bolts use the same thickness of gears? Like either 2 series or 3 series.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
But when I look for other gears for the 8.5 10 bolt, I don't ever see where I have a selection of either 2 or 3 series carrier. I just went to US gear website and I dont have that selection of either carrier

·
Administrator
15,816 Posts
I do not think after market suppliers offer the carriers for the 2.41 and 2.56 gears, there can not be much of a market for them. I purchased a 2 series posi carrier from a B body several years ago for our Buick Regal project. We wound up not using it and selling. The car will need at least a 3.42 ratio when it gets built.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have the open carrier and I was told that it has 3.08 gears. But I will be changing gears to either 3.42 or 3.73 sometime in March or April. I had a 7.5 3.42 posi that came out of a caddy but I busted that thing up after about 10k miles of hard driving on it. So luckily I kept my peglegger 8.5 and put her back in when that happened. Is there a way that I can tell EXACTLY whats in there without taking off the cover. Like looking at the VIN or some sort of tag somewhere?

·
Administrator
15,816 Posts
Find the numbers stamped on the front of the passenger side axle tube, post them and I can look them up in the parts manual.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts