Chevelles.com banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am ready to buy a starter for my 454 and I have read good things about PowerMaster. My flywheel had 168 teeth and the block has 3 mounting holes for either straight across or staggered mounting.

I called their techline and they recommended their MasterTorque starter. The part number is #9600. I am using Hooker Competition headers and he said they would easily clear that and the stock oil pan. It is probably more starter than I need. It is rated for up to 14:1 compression and I am around 10.5:1. It has 180 ft lbs and a 3.25:1 gear reduction. I guess a little extra torque can't hurt.

I have read comments online about the stock car wiring harnesses maybe being close to not reaching the wiring connections on the starter. He said they have never received any comments about that and since the starter is smaller overall than a stock one he felt it would be fine.

Does anybody have any experience with their #9600 starter?

Thx.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have used Powermaster starters several times. The last one being this summer on my small block 383 and is the 9000 series. Not a big block but just a comment on the starters themselves.
All have worked flawlessly and have been used quite a bit. I have also used their alternators and have had great luck. You pay for Powermaster, but you get what you pay for IMO.
I'm sure you know, but if you have '66 or older switch and wiring, you need to add the one way diode and wire from starter to coil positive.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
StokerBoats, I did read the comments and some were negative. They were however from 3-4 years ago. Everything I read recently seemed to be positive.

600Renegade, I’m working on a ‘70 so I hope I’m ok.

Thx for the comments.

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
I have killed more than 1 powermaster. That's not to say they aren't good starters, however, I wanted a starter I would never have an issue with so I stepped up on a GM starter which is the most expensive starter I've ever seen. It is an AC Delco starter rated for an 11 to 1 compression engine. The part number is # 19302919. It is for use with a 168 tooth flexplate. This is what I have on my
10.7 to 1 compression 500 inch big block and it spins it like a top. It is reliable and doesn't eat flexplates. I use ATI flexplates with good success.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I see that starter at Jegs for $361. Yowza. How long did your PowerMasters last and what killed them? Thx

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
I use the 9526 starter and all three mounting holes.

Reactions: Gary Anderson

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
I put on the Powermaster 9000 last fall to cure a stock style starter that would get weak after some heat soak from the header. Works great, was able to clock the starter solenoid down away from the header, spins my 496 10.7:1 engine like nothing. Its a hitachi style one though, different from the denso style 9600.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
i went from original starter to:
Chevrolet Performance High Torque Mini Starters 19302919-------$220.00

gm bolt part# 12338064-----------------------------------------$5.00

this was $225.00 well spent. turns my 11.25 ls6 over without issue and no shimming or re-wiring.

·
Premium Member
7,118 Posts
I just put a Powermaster 9000 on my 11:1 632 and it spins like a boss. I tried the cheapie DB Electricals on other builds and all eventually failed. I had the 9600 on my old 505 and it lasted for 11 years.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Hardest thing to get used to is the starter noise...Sounds like a Tercel! LOL

Reactions: LeoP

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
I see that starter at Jegs for $361. Yowza. How long did your PowerMasters last and what killed them? Thx
First one lasted one start. Trans had to come back out, flexplate replaced along with starter. It was an engine kick back but I wasn't happy at all. Then a couple of other "same things" in 3 years so I said, "OK" I'll do something different. The kick back was on me, timing/ignition related but I wasn't going to have another flexplate change as long as I could avoid it. In my case, at my age it was worth the price of the GM starter as I hasd used one in the past with good success.
You may never have an issue with a powermaster. I will not have an issue with one again either.
What I left out and just now remembered is that when headers were built for my pump gas engine headers it had the GM piece on it. The powermaster just won't fit with my headers period.
Powermaster does fit on my 565 with Lemons headers though. They were built to use the powermaster 9540 starter.

·
Registered
1968 Chevelle Malibu, upgraded to a 396/TH400 from a 327/PG
583 Posts
DB Electrical . PMGR Delco Mini Starter. I been using these for over 10 years .cheap work flawlessly. View attachment 697941
This is the starter I installed last fall. Had one little issue with it continuing to spin and stay engaged with the engine running this past September. Once I got the starter to stop spinning (slammed the door, I was not happy), I haven’t had the problem since.

·
Registered
11,413 Posts
I had the 9400 in my race car for 13 years. I did chip the pinion on a kick back but replaced it and kept going. With standard timing set up in a 15:1 565 it worked fine.

Reactions: Stokerboats

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok. For those of you using the GM 19302919, does it not have the kick back breakage problems the PowerMaster does? Thx.

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
Ok. For those of you using the GM 19302919, does it not have the kick back breakage problems the PowerMaster does? Thx.
It doesn't on my 500 incher however, as I stated above I had a timing/ignition issue which was on me for the most part.
That was with my 14 to 1 565 and an incorrectly plotted start retard. Sometimes proper instruction are difficult to interpret. I'll not get into that part.
The GM starter is light years better than the DB Electric starters. But damned pricey. I spent that money too but if you search enough you can get it for less at this time of the year. We are close to Black Friday too.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts