Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
go to your nearest circle track......ask tha boys what tranny they like
It is my understanding that most folks are concerned about gas milage and top end power ....but other than that they are bullet proof. I'm pretty well determined to put a powerglide BACK into my car, cuz there is a special FORD I intend to show that I will beat him off the line and he will see BOWTIE in his windshield.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
do you mean your street car? i hope you do let them see your bowtie. that is a positive response about powerglide. i guess that was kind of what i was asking the question for because i was going to put mine back in my car. any other opinions? thanks

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,778 Posts
For the record, I hate 'em. On the street it's like starting off in 2nd gear with a TH350 or 400. Then just one shift to high. In a heavy car like a Chevelle, unless it's a race-only application, a minimum of 3 speeds forward is the way to go.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Von....is it a performance thing or just feels odd not to shift?? I have a high torque out of a 6cyl car and should put down so real torque behind that 350..... and by the time I shift....OLE Ford boy will be bustin that 351 to catch me...hopefully I'll be done by the time he gets to the stripe.:D :D :D

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,778 Posts
Von....is it a performance thing or just feels odd not to shift?? I have a high torque out of a 6cyl car and should put down so real torque behind that 350..... and by the time I shift....OLE Ford boy will be bustin that 351 to catch me...hopefully I'll be done by the time he gets to the stripe.:D :D :D
On the street it's a performance thing too. 1st gear ratio in a PG isn't too far from the 2nd gear ratio in a TH350. A PG will work on the strip in a light car with the right converter but on the street in a heavier car the lack of a 1st gear ratio is a lot to overcome. Unless you have severe traction problems or race from a rolling start in the rpm power range of your engine. A PG does have less rotating resistance but that wouldn't be noticed on the street.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
there is a GOOD reason the most popular upgrade to make to a p/g car is to install a th350 !! the extra gear !! is what gets your rolling from a dead stop !!
take any two chevelles ... you pick... equal motors & rear gears... the th350 wins every time ..... don't get me wrong my El Camino came with PG an its living quite nicely on a pallet in the garage because its original ..but there's a built th350 in the car !!!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Lot of people don't like em cause they're only 2 speeds. If you absolutely have to have 3 shifts for whatever reason they're not for you. But if that's not a priority to you then a Glide works just fine. I've raced and won with them in circle track cars with NO modifications and they never failed me. Used them in many 60-70 era Chevies without any problems, and have one in my 71 Chevelle street car. If you want a tilt column and a console I haven't seen anything for the Powerglide in parts specifically for that trans. I do think it's been unneccessarily maligned all these years and I like them.

·
Registered
5,972 Posts
Not a big fan of the slip and slides here.....

There's one sitting in my dad's barn that we took put of my Nova in favor for a TH350....I'm only saving it for originality purposes....

I've only driven one car with a glide.....and that was a 68 Chevelle with a 327......you want to talk about a dog.....the ricers could've beaten it without trying.....

Plus my dad knows a guy that had a 69 Chevelle with a 396/PG/3.73 combo.....my dad rode in the car and said "it doesn't get out of the hole like my Camaro does"......his Camaro is a 400/M22/3.55 combo.....

.....and this guy knew it too, especially when he started talking smack about "how his Chevelle could take my dad's Camaro" yet came up with every excuse in book on why he wouldn't race my dad when my dad went over to his house to race with $500 in pocket ready to lay on the table....

So yeah on the street those extra gears have their advantages.....

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
I'm currently in the process of performing an engine change. I will be removing a stock 396/325 and installing a ZZ454 with about 500 ft. lbs. of torque @ 3200 rpms. The newer crate engine develops a lot of torque down low. I will be updating my powerglide with a few goodies from JW transmission....hardened 400 turbo input shaft, steel clutch hub, new clutches and steels, valve body kit, and a few other goodies. JW also built me a converter that will flash to 2600 yet is tight enough for normal street driving. My glide has a 1.76 to 1 first gear and 1 to 1 final. A 400 turbo I believe is a 2.48 first to a 1.48 second and a 1 to 1 high gear. When looking at these numbers I see the difference between a 1-2 shift on glide be closer than a 1-2 shift on a 400 turbo. The only problem I see in the future is roasting the tires off in 1st on take off. Geesh now theres a problem I was trying to create.......:yes:

·
Registered
963 Posts
To make a glide work at the track you had better run some deep rear gears to make up for the tall 1st in the PG. Everytime I had done a PG to TH350 in a car it makes the car feel like it has 50 extra horsepower after the swap, leave the glides to the race tracks when they can be made to work. There is way to much RPM drop between shifts on a PG over a any 3spd transmission for a street driver.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I believe a lot of the disrespect for the glide comes from comparing a "stock" tranny and converter to the updated package, and it's a lousy comparison. When a tranny is changed, usually a converter with higher stall is also part of the new package.

Some quick math.

The stock powerglide convertor has a stall speed around 1500rpm and a torque multiplication factor of 1.5-1. In a modest 350 we'd see around 250 ft lbs @ 1500, [email protected] 3000 and [email protected]

So 250tq X 1.5(multiplication factor) X 1.76(gear) X 3.08 (diff) = 2032.8 torque @ the axels minus driveline losses.

If we switch to a good aftermarket converter we can not only move the engine into a range of higher torque production, the aftermarket converters have much higher torque multiplication themselves, in the range of 2.5 up to 3-1.

Lets use the same engine, with an aftermarket converter with 3000 stall, 2.5-1 torque multiplication.

325tq X 2.5 X 1.76 X 3.08= 4404tq @ the axles. More than double. If you compared that torque with what was needed to match it in a stick car off the line, you'd need 400tq X 2.20(1st gear in a M21) X 4.88 rear gear. Do you think that might blow the tires away on the street? How much worse might it be with a 2.48 first gear(TH400)? Or 500tq from a 454?

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Junk, my car currently has a 3.07 ratio and it will remain that way for the break in of the new motor. I plan on getting out on the open road and doing a little cruising during that period. After break in I'll give it a few good romps and see how it feels. I do believe with that gearing it will be fine but BGH fixed me up with a couple rebuild kits in case a gear change is needed. I will be rebuilding the rear anyway to replace all the bearings and seals. I also picked up a nice 33k mile original Corvette 400 turbo (135 bucks...lol) thats never been opened and it will be rebuilt next week with the glide. It will be on stand by just in case. By swapping to a hardened Input shaft, with turbo splines my converter will work in either. The folks at JW Transmissions have been in the business for quite a while and have a great reputation. I spoke with them at length about the car's purpose, weight, gearing, tire height, engine spec's and so forth. I can honestly say if you call them, you WILL speak with someone who has a clue. This car is being purpose built as a cruiser, play toy.....It will never see the track...Around here most of the speed limits are 35 or 45 till you leave the beach....but then opens up to 70 mph country type cruising. My 130 mph days are long gone, But I still get a charge out of nice set of posi blackmarks. Guess you could say I'm a firm believer that convertibles were designed to aid in tire smoke ventilation....:D Grey, thank you so much for your technical assistance. Plus ..... Big clunky cars with glides get spotted a few cars and if it column shift you get a couple extra...( I've been watching Pinks to much)....:beers:

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have a 66 chevelle that originally had a stock 283 and powerglide. Put in a 400 SB bored 40 over that is putting out around 400 hp. and tons of torque.
I kept the powerglide and it does just fine. I upgraded the stall converter to 2000 rpm. I see no reason to change the tranny. it hauls ass just fine.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
GreyBeard........what does the 1:94(I think) out of a 6 cyl car do to that equation with a 300 hp 350 and the 3:08????
Showing my ignorance but a racing buddy pleaded with me to keep the tranny and put it in my car. I could be wrong, but the 1:94 (i think this is correct ratio) according to his math verses the traditional powerglide issued to v8 cars has much better torque due to the task of pushing 3200 lbs with 140-60 hp from a six banger??? true???
I'm getting 4854.

·
Registered
372 Posts
1.82 was behind six cyl. and 1.76 for V8 cars. I run a 1.76 with a stock case in my race car 3200lbs 4.33 gears and it cuts 1.30 60' times. For drag racing they are great, for street I want more gears.

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,778 Posts
FWIW 307 cars also got the 1.82 low gear, at least in '69. Is there any strength or torque capacity difference between the 1.82 and 1.76 glide? I have a good stock 1.82 version for sale BTW. The TH350 made a world of difference in my stock 350 Malibu.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts