Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the 4 switch power window control and harness pigtail from a '68 chev. I have a SPAL aftermarket power window set in my car. The switches for my current setup have 5 contacts per switch: one hot, two to the motor (one for each direction, I assume) and two grounds from the motor. The chevy control has two contacts per switch plus a single hot that feeds the others. I'd like to use the legacy switches. Can anyone tell me how to wire this? In my testing with a fused hot wire, I always pop the fuse when I use the switch.
Thanks for whatever help you can give.

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
I know about the G.M. power window switches, G.M. is simple. All G.M. does is reverse the ground on the motor. When you reverse the ground the rotation of the motor is changed.
Thats how my 70 windows operate.
Bob

·
Registered
625 Posts
Jack, GM switches made prior to about 1980 used a 3 wire setup. The motor chassis was grounded and by supplying power to one wire or the other the motor would push the window up or down. Newer switches use a reverse polarity system (5 wire). This system has a floating chassis ground and by supplying power to one wire and ground to the other the motor will operate in one direction. Reversing the power and ground wires to the motor, reverses the motor operation. It is possible (but not easy) to use your older original switches in conjunction with 2 relays per motor, or so I'm told.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts