Team Chevelle banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a used a-body power window asm. in my 75 G3. I got the GM 2-door chrome style switch and harness kit from Electric-Life. The windows don't hardly move. I can bypass the switches and hot wire the motors to test them and they go up & down just fine. The install instructions say nothing about including relays. Do I need to add relays?
After trying new window motors from NAPA, getting the hot lead off the battery through relays, they still roll slooow!
What is the difference between a 3-wire motor and reverse polarity set-up? My old motor looks like it has a 2 wire connection.
How are these set-ups wired differently?
I'm determined to get this right!
Thanks for the help...

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
When you hot wired the motors they worked fine, did you run both a power and ground to the battery ?. Then later with new motors from Napa you got the hot lead off of the battery through relays and now they are slow again ?.

Before you might have been getting a better ground if you hot wired it directly to the battery but now the ground is somewhere else. If the grounds are still in the same spot and the only thing you have changed is adding the relays then maybe the relays are not wired right or passing power like they should ?.

I've never liked the older GM wiring for power windows in that all of the power and grounds go through the switches. There are just too many connections and long wire runs.

I've only worked on two wire power window motors and they work by having the power and ground going to the motor to make it go one way and then reversing the connections the motor goes the other way. If I had to guess on a three wire (but I would confirm using a meter or find a schematic) is that one wire goes to ground, another goes to power to make the motor go one way and the third wire to make the motor go the other way and that the two wires that make the motor go each way cannot see power at the same time.

If you can, detail out exactly where you have gotten power and grounds from and through what or how things were hot wired.

There might not be anything wrong with the wiring or the motors but the regulator and related parts may need to be adjusted or lubed or possibly something is worn out creating more resistance that the motors have to overcome ?.

Jim

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
The motor has two windings with a common ground. The motor needs to be grounded. Apply power to one of the two leads to run the motor in one direction, power to the other lead to run the other direction.

·
Premium Member
2,238 Posts
ground the motors inside the door well, run your 12v+ power to each switch from a good power source, those switches will handle the current, but you could add a relay before each switch ? but a circuit breaker and power from the battery or horn relay will do the job, if they're just two wire motors ? it's 12v+ up and 12v+ down.
Dave

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
If there is a ground off of the motor and it is grounded inside the door, I wonder if it is providing a good enough ground. It may not be. You may want to extend this ground through the door jamb and enter the interior and have them grounded inside the kick panels.

I still wonder if what you have is a two wire reversible polarity type motor or a three wire setup like others have talked about.

Jim

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, Jim S., et all..
I'm trying to find out which motors I do have and if the Electric-Life switches and Hardness are made for them. I did lube up all the mechanisms and tracts when it was installed so I don't think they are binding there. I will run another ground to the inside doors to make sure of a good ground. Thanks...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts