Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finished installation on my power windows and power door locks today and ran into a couple snags, My door locks are too stiff for the new actuators, and my pass side window motor doesn't work. when you put power to the window motor it it just makes a very quiet click. ??? They're brand new. I always thought my locks were hard to open with the key, i thought it was because their new. Anyone had any problems like this before? This is real frusterating having my car off the road cause i can't roll the window up. Please help. Thanks.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Got a schematic on the power windows? The power for the passenger side comes from the drivers side. All I can suggest is take some measurements on the passenger side switch and post back.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well i figured out the power window problem. My relays were junk and four out of six didn't work right out of the box. On my power door locks i guess i'm just gonna have to bite the bullet and get another set of actuators. Summit wouldn't let me return them because i'd already installed them. I guess thats what i deserve for buying a "universal" kit.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I had a vehicle which had after market door lock actuators. It was also very difficult to operate (very stiff). If you found a set that will work better let me know. Did you install an alarm or remote lock-unlock kit?

I have a 67 chevelle and am also in process of installing power locks and trunk release. I got an alarm that will lock and unlock as well as open the trunk remotely. Have you installed the remote trunk release? I haven't found much info on them as far as installation. Any help or problems you ran into will help I'd like to know how the power locks and windows went in and what kit you used??

thanks, craig (klassickruiser)

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Hey old67elcamino!! Did you purchase the universal set from the Summit catalog? How did everything fit and does it look like decent quality stuff that will work for a while?? Iv'e been thinking about adding power windows and locks!

·
Premium Member
4,136 Posts
olds67camino it is possible that you are experiencing your door lock "stiffness" porblem because of accumulated dirt in your door latch/lock assemblies? Have you removed them to clean and lubricate them? On an old car it usually makes for a dramatic improvement.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
M22Chevy
Yes i did use the Electric life power windows from Summit. They fit perfect and work great. My only complaints is that they use metric bolts (the only metric bolts on my car) and are a little too fast for me. But as soon as i get the wiring figured out i'm looking forward to using them.

KlassicKruiser
my door lock actuators are the ones from the VPA kit from Summit. To put it simply they're crap. They come with they're own wiring harness and some really cheap switches. I wanted chrome switches so i completely hacked their harness and decided to only use the actuators. Too bad they're junk too. Oh well live and learn. I'm planning on installing an alarm when the funds come up, and i have an el camino so i don't know about truck locks.

If i ever get this thing figured out i'll post pics and tell everyone how it all worked out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts