Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning to add a trunk release solenoid to my 72 chevelle. It seems like a pretty straightforward project, but I want to make sure I put the button in the glove box in the factory correct location. Can you tell me where to find this information, or can anyone send me a picture that shows it? THANKS!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I'd like to see where it originally goes too. I've seen and insert on eBay that had it on left side. Is it required that you use the insert?

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
I installed a remote trunk solenoid on my '72 SS, and it was the easiest to add, coolest option out there! Here's how I did mine:

Removed the stock trunk latch assembly and added the powered one, attaching a long length of wire. I strung the wire thru the trunk lid and made it exit thru a hole near the right side trunk lid hinge. The wire then travels along the right side of the floor, under the carpet. I routed it up behind the passenger side kick panel, and terminated it at the glovebox, with a bit of extra slack. Instead of using 12V power source at the fuse panel, I "cheated" by using the constant 12V source from the glovebox light. I too was uncertain exactly where the trunk release button mounted, so I chose to drill a hole to mount it into the roof of the glovebox. I figured it wouldn't get accidentally bumped when reaching into the glovebox. The button I used has "wings" built into the exterior body of the button. These wings are meant to expand, or "pop" out once the button is pushed thru the hole you drilled. No insert necessary. If you choose to install & use the 12V source I did, the dash pad will probably need to be removed to access, drill, wire the button.

I know this didn't answer the "where did the factory mount release button" question, but thought you could gain some perspective on my install.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts