Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just joined the site, I have a 1970 chevelle that was getting hard to turn to the left,replaced power steering pump and it's still acting the same. I think I got all the air out of it. Not sure whats going on. Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
Welcome to the site. If your pump was replaced and there weren't any problems with the hoses, the next place to check would be the steering box itself. The symptoms you describe sound like something that is typical of a linkage-boost type p.s. setup (the kind that looks like there are shock absorbers on the steering linkage), not the integral type that is used on Chevelles. Hmm...
If it were me I wouldn't drive the car until getting the steering issues fixed.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Yep, sounds like the box is going bad. Usually it is a spool valve hanging up and or worn to the point the pressure just blows past it without helping the turn, not providing assist, but it could be more wrong inside. Time to look for a replacement box.

·
Administrator
16,207 Posts
Check your ball joints too. My son told me the power steering was going out in his Blazer and the problem was dry and worn ball joints causing the steering to bind when trying to turn.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts