Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my MANUAL no power-steering is driving me nuts on a 70 chevelle. i just read in a resto magazine i can put a mid eighties SS monte carlo box in with no modifications. has anyone done this? will this ease the frantic hand over hand steering to make those 3 pt turns?
thanks

[This message has been edited by gkopeck (edited 03-24-99).]

[This message has been edited by gkopeck (edited 03-24-99).]

·
Registered
12 Posts
year one makes a replacement steering box that lets you turn from end to end in three steering wheel turns or less. Maybe this will help.

My thoughts about "bastardizing" parts on a car from another is that if it is stated that "everything lines up", usually does not happen as easy as that and then you have to modify other things to adapt the easy to install part.

This is just a thought. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
The late model Monte Carlo and Buick GN cars have a different size fitting [metric I believe ] at the box and pump. there is someone that makes adapter fittings but they slip my mind right now. Can anyone help? I think the rag joint is different too. This is a high effort box. Does your car already have p/s ? If so you may need a new pump or something.

[This message has been edited by chev64 (edited 03-24-99).]

·
Registered
25 Posts
I don't know if the Monte SS box will work, but I know that an 81 or older TA or Z28 box will work and they have a quicker ratio than yours. I believe the pitman arm is the same as well. It should be a straight swap.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.