Team Chevelle banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone steer me towards a good shop that can rebuild my 66 smallblock power steering pump?? I live in the western US so somewhere out here would be nice. thanks for the help

·
Premium Member
4,136 Posts
For all intents and purposes your power steering pump is one of the simpler mechanisms in your car. You might get a good education by going in to the pump yourself and installing a rebuild kit.

#1) I am not sure that you can actually buy a rebuild kit. I know that you can buy a seal kit. Rebuilding kits may be harder to come by.

Is there a particular reason why you want to rebuild the pump? Is the pump leaking fluid and causing you to think about rebuilding it. Is it no longer developing hydraulic pressure?

"SEAL" kits are very readily available for our pumps. If all you are having is a leakage problem get a seal kit and reseal your pump. of the few things you might do to your pump resealing it is the simplest. Since resealing the pump requires that you remove the pulley most kits come with the tool you need to remove and reinstall the pulley. Think this over before you make your decision.

Best of luck to you.

·
Gold Founding Member
10,970 Posts
A rebuilt pump from NAPA complete with reservoir attached, and a warranty, was about $65 for my '88 work truck. I had to install the pulley and bolt the pump to the engine. Easy.

A replacement pulley would have been an additional $16, (and the pump came with a "pulley installation tool" but I bought the R & R tool instead so I re-used the existing pulley.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts