Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My p/s pump might not be long for this world. Right now it sounds like it has marbles running around in it. I am using some ideas given to me by L89 to help make it last. What is the cost of a rebuild? Are there years that will exchange wihtout modifications? It's on a '70 307 stock motor (no headers/etc...).

Thanks for all input!

------------------
Madness takes it's toll, please have exact change.

Fred
'70 Chevelle
http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/shop/9385/1970Chevelle.html

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
28,964 Posts
Riffers70
couple things to watch here:

1) 70 still has the "gooseneck" reservoir (old style). This can be changed/swapped easily.

2) 70 still has the bolt-on pulley. It's actually a big nut right on the front of the shaft. This part is not interchangeable with later models. A real 70 pump will usually not come with a pulley, you'll be able to see male threads on the front of the shaft. If you take your pulley off, be careful not to lose the small Woodruff key that keeps it from spinning on the shaft. Usually easier to break that front nut loose while you've still got the fan belt on there to hold the pulley.

Tom

[This message has been edited by tommob (edited 05-17-99).]

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tom...these things I did not know about the pump.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
The basic pumps are all the same, the reservoir is the only differnce, you can use your old reservoir. Rebuild kits are about $20. There is a ps pump remanufacturing co. in AZ that will have that exact pump rebuilt w/ a warranty. Sorry I don't remember the name.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.