Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 67 El Camino with power steering and the pump knocks...........is this a sign of a bad power steering pump? Could it just be the pully? What should I do ? Get a new pump

THANKS
JEFF RIDGE

·
Registered
994 Posts
Are you positive it's the pump? If you remove the belt, listen to see if the knock goes away, if not then you have another problem.
If your positive it's the pump, I'd say yes replace it.

------------------
Lowered '67 Elcamino
ZZ430HP / 4L60
"Canyon Carver"

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I am positive it is the pump because when I turn the car a certain way the knock goes away.

Is that what pumps do when they get old?

THANKS,

JEFF RIDGE

·
Registered
13,015 Posts
I have had had this happen on both mine and my son's cars. Just needed to tighten the nut on the pully shaft. The key kinda of chewed up the keyway in the shaft before I discovered it on my 70conv.

------------------
Tom Parsons

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Mine does this too, started a few weeks back, getting more persistant since then.

Reach down to the ps pump pulley, grasp it and pull forward then backward. Pay attention to whether just the pulley moves, if so just tighten nut as previously suggested - if shaft and pulley move together then you have internal ps pump problem (as is the case with the Bomber)

------------------
"Bomber" '67 El Camino
Beater comes back to life
350/TH350 14.90 @ 93mph!

·
Registered
339 Posts
First thing is spray some water on the belts. Hard to believe that a belt grabbing can cause this noise, but it does quite often. If it still knocks, get out the wrenches.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.