Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '70 Elky with power steering but the steering box doesn't hold fluid (it leaks real bad)so I don't put any in anymore. Is it bad for the power steering pump to be pumping when there's no fluid going through it? If so, should I take the belt off or what? Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
You've probably ruined your steering box too.
Time to replace that pump, they're not that expensive, but the box's are. I wonder if you could overheat the pump and start a fire too?

------------------
Nick P.
Team Chevelle Gold #36

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, the steering gearbox itself doesn't hold fluid (bad gasket by pitman arm) so I don't bother refilling because it just makes a mess all over the driveway. The pump is always on anyway and works fine when it has fluid going through it but I'm just wondering if it's gonna burn out because it's not pumping anything.

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
Why not fix the seal? And then see if your pump is still OK? Anyway, used steering boxes are $35 at the local yard here, so that may be another choice. I think that the pumps are pretty tough and they need only to be "wet" with oil to survive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.