Team Chevelle banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I have a 67 Chevelle with factory power sterring. I recently changed the steering gear to the quick ratio NAPA part. I remember hearing somewhere that I will need to make some changes to the pump so it will work right with the new gear. Can anyone point me to the right solution? By that I mean hopefully one that has been proven to work. I really want to do this once. Thanks.

Sid

67 Malibu
400 SBC
Calles Dragon Slayer Crank
Scat forged rods
SRP forged pistons
Crane roller cam and lifters
Trickflow G2 heads
Air Gap manifod
650 Speed Demon w/ mechanical secondaries.
(soon to be an Edelbrock. I'm tired of fighting with it.)
Hedman Ceramic coated.
Flowmaster American Thunder exaust
MSD ignition
Millodon oil system

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
There are only two parameters that may vary with the PS pump:

A) the output volume
B) the maximum output pressure

Around 1970 or so the maximum output pressure was increased from 900 PSI to around 1400 PSI (rough numbers off the top of my head). I believe that the volume was well nigh the same throughout. These parameters will only be noticeable in parking lot manuevers, so you can run you old pump with little degradation in performance.

But if you want to update it, pick up a newer control valve and put it in you old pump. This will be the outlet fitting (which contains the volume regulation), pressure control piston, and the spring behind the piston.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I did some searching on the site and found a lot of info regarding using a Grand Cherokee steering gear. I may try that as my problem is that the steering is way to light. By that I mean almost no road feel and no effort to turn the wheel. I want it to feel more solid. Wouldn't that mean I want less pump pressure?

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
That would mean you want a larger T-bar in the hydraulic control valve. Think of this as a spring that controls how much input you must provide *before* assist kicks in.

The generic fast ratio boxes do not specify T-bar size and likely have a smaller size just like you car came with originally. The Jeep GC upgrade is a very good idea and the larger T-bar WILL make a world of difference in your steering feel. This is also one of the features of the AGR steering boxes but that path means lots more $$$.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Sid I changed my 67 gearbox about a month ago, I used a Tom Lee gearbox, its without a doubt one of the best upgrades I`ve made. The car has something it never had before, roadfeel. I`m running a serpentine belt with a Gm type II pump.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts