Team Chevelle banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my power streeing is acting up. when im at a stop and try to turn the wheel all the way it locks up and squeaks. i had the hoses off for a while and had the holes on the steering box covered most of the time. can it be that maybe some debri got in to it. or maybe i just got the hoses crossed. would one of the two cause this problem if not what would. every thing worked fine before. thier is fluid in the resivoure i know this isnt a performance ? but it was the forum with the most people in it and i need some help

·
Premium Member
9,525 Posts
It would blow the return line off if it were crossed , it sounds like belt tension or condition to me.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
My son had a similar problem with his Firebird. He developed a leaking hose coming home from Las Vegas, so he cut the belt to the pump and drove home.After a short time of driving around with out the fluid circulating in the gearbox,it started to not return from turns and became extreamly hard to turn.I believe the gearbox was failing.It may be in your case as well.I hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
9,525 Posts
If the belt is glazed or old it could make noise to tight is hard on bearings is it tight enough 1/2" play if it's a V belt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts