Team Chevelle banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a PS problem. A guy at work has a 89 S-10 and the remote tank had a crack in the plastic at one of the hose barbs. The tank is discontinued from GM - I went to the junkyard and found a steel one of a late model Astro van. Both tanks have a 5/8" barb at the bottom and a 3/8" hose above that.
I swapped out the tank and connected the hoses, Was about a 20 minute job as I had to drill a couple of holes. I started the truck and the PS seemed to work fine and I finished up everything and was delivering the vehicle and I noticed that the steering had very little if any assist. I checked the remote tank and the fluid level is where it is to be. I thought maybe an air bubble so I cranked the wheel back & forth and nothing.
Heeeeelllllpppp.:( Any suggestions?

LK

·
Premium Member
7,984 Posts
Did you go "lock to lock"? If the only thing you changed was the res. It should work as it did before.

·
Registered
8,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, I turned it back & forth a few dozen times. I also jacked up the front & turned it back & forth w/o the engine running & still nothing. Irt seems like the pump is not pushing fluid. There is some kind of sensor in the center of the pressure line, Don't know what it is for. I was thinking about taking this out & see if I have fluid comming out. I don't know what else to do. I'v chanded dozens of PS systems with motor swaps & stuff & never had a problem like this.

LK

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
The sensor in the pressure line tells the engine ECM to bump up the idle at full lock so that the engine doesn't stall.
For the lack of power assist there may be a piece of dirt stuck in the pressure regulator valve in the pump. You could try to hold the steering wheel at full lock and rev the engine to see if you can flush the dirt through. The pressure regulator valve on older GMs was behind the pressure fitting on the pump. The line would need to be undone and the fitting unscrewed from the pump body. I don't know if S-10 is the same. Hope this helps.

Paul

·
Premium Member
14,193 Posts
did you get the correct pressure regulator valve back in the pump?

·
Registered
8,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The pump was not removed, Just the remote tank. It has a "T" in the pressure line with some sort of sensor that is not hooked up, Not sure what that is. This 1/2 hour job is killing me though.

LK

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.