Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can't get believe this. the guy at Summit insists the '70 chevelle s/b doesn't need an adapter to the power steering pump when using headers, he claims it doesn't even bolt to the exhaust. someone else is trying to sell me the 'special' connector. where the &**(& does it bolt? there are two bolt holes on the front d/s of the s/b.
thanx.

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,053 Posts
The PS pump hangs from and pivots on a mount on the water pump. The adjuster bracket on the back bolts to the front bolt on the exhaust manifold and the front top bolt of the motor mount. You need a spacer and long bolt to equal the the thickness of the manifold. It's actually the thickness of the manifold minus the thickness of the header flange. If the car has factory A/C some of this is different, also there is rear lower A/C compressor bracket you can get, Hooker makes it. It replaces the bracket that was bolted to the exhaust manifold. Look carefully at a stock 70 and you'll see the stuff thats needed.

Tom

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, now if i could just find that stock '70 (oh wait, mine used to be stock...)
i have the 'raised' type waterpump. factor?

[This message has been edited by gkopeck (edited 04-13-99).]

·
Registered
25 Posts
i just did the same thing. i have a 72 chevelle with a 69 small block. i just dropped a set of hookers in. i did not need anything for the power steering, but i did need the a/c bracket. also, you will need a long bolt(a normal bolt from the old manifoldand a spacer)for the a/c pump. and when you drop the headers in do the drivers side from underneath, its a hell of a lot easier than from above!!!

mike

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so, with no air cond, the power steering pump bolts in 3 places:
the water pump,
the block,
and ? not the manifold?

i only have two brackets that came with the 'unit'; pump, gearbox. it has to sit 'hi' in the engine or it pushes against the gearbox.

·
Boldly procrastrinating
29,053 Posts
gkopeck

Sounds to me like we're not talking about the same stuff here. Looking back to your first post I see you mentioned the two holes on the front of the block. These are not used on the 70 and later long water pump setup. The PS pump/bracket ass'y hangs from the mount on the water pump, the adjuster bracket (this has a nut welded to the backside for the pinch bolt that you tighten up when setting the belt tension) runs from the front exhaust manifold bolt down to the motor mount.

If the PS pump bracket you have appears to bolt to the two holes in the front of the block, it's the early style bracket. The adjuster bracket for this style is more complex, goes under the motor mount using all three bolts. Real PITA to install in the car.

Main point is you'll need the spacer and long bolt to make up the difference between the thickness of the manifold and the header flange. Looks like about 1" to 1.25" to me. Don't tell anybody, but I use F**d alternator spacer for this kind of stuff. It's a real thick wall aluminum material you can cut easy with a hacksaw.

I see somebody offered a spacer in that other thread in Troubleshooting.

I wonder if you've got the early brackets, I'd sort that out first.

Tom

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
as always you've been very helpful. i definitely do not have anything that resembles a connection to the motor mount, that seems like a long distance to travel (from the manifold). i have the adjustor bracket with the welded nut that wraps 'around' the ps pump - you said ine end goes to the water pump and the other goes to the exhaust manifold, but it's at a right angle to it - that's where the other bracket must go; the second bracket, well, it has the tension groove on one side and 3 holes on the other. (i tried to scan it but don't know how to load pictures here). i placed the original manifold back on but neither of the three holes seem to set correctly. perhaps one of the 3 holes fixes here and the bottom one goes to the motor mount? my second 'unknown' PS bracket has two right angles in opposit directions to form a block 's' when viewed from the side.
thanks!

[This message has been edited by gkopeck (edited 04-14-99).]

[This message has been edited by gkopeck (edited 04-14-99).]

·
Registered
71 Posts
gkopeck, you need to invest in an assembly manual. It would save you a ton of this aggravation. It shows what the brackets and pump look like and where they mount. And if you find you need any brackets drop me a note, I've got all the correct ones for a 70 including the rear mount bracket and the spacer if you have headers.........Gary

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
I believe the spacer that you need is the one on the front-most bolt on the left hand header (or manifold). It is one inch long and about one inch in diameter. Just sent one to the fellow who posted this same question a couple weeks ago.

·
Boldly procrastrinating
29,053 Posts
gkopeck

I didn't say "ine end goes to the water pump and the other goes to the exhaust
manifold," I said "the adjuster bracket (this has a nut welded to the
backside for the pinch bolt that you tighten up when setting the belt tension) runs
from the front exhaust manifold bolt down to the motor mount." If you have an adjuster bracket (curved slot)that has three holes in a triangle, this is the early style, won't work on a 70. This adjuster bracket works with the early PS pump bracket that bolts to the two holes in the front of the block.

On the 70 setup, the curved slot is in a bracket that bolts to the front of the PS pump under the pulley. Looking at it rom the top it's shaped vaguely like a backwards Z.

GT is right, you need to invest in an assembly manual, saves a lot time on these deals.

Tom

·
Registered
339 Posts
What I've seen is two types. One is sort of a faceplate that you have to take off the PS pump pulley to remove from pump, the other is a cradle type that is in three main pieces with the cradle and a odd looking dogleg bracket that does use a bolt into the front exhaust bolt and needs a spacer with headers. I've always thought the face plate job was for newer models with AC etc. I like the cradle type much better myself since it is a little lighter and easier to work with. tom

·
Registered
151 Posts
I just replaced all of the PS brackets on my 69 396. Got them all new from local Chevrolet Dealer. Most dealers can now print you the picture page off of their computer. I have a three bracket set-up also, the cost for all was about $30.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.