Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to change the amount of power assistance for the steering on a 1968, possibly a pump swap? There is very little wheels on road feel. My 1985 TransAm had P/S but much better control and feel.

Thanks!
Dan

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
I know wat u mean but I have never found a way to change it, like almost to much power in the power steering, it will never have the feel of a trans am or a newer car just for the fact of the different steering set ups, maybe u could interchange some corvette parts, Skip in drive tranes would be a good one to answer this one, Good Luck L89SEDAN

[This message has been edited by L89SEDAN (edited 11-27-98).]

·
Registered
12 Posts
Two approaches:

- Change the spool valve in the steering gear. You need one with a larger T bar. I understand that this standard NASCAR, etc, drill.

- Add +1 deg. of caster to your front suspension and be sure that toe-in is correctly set. Too little toe-in can cause vague steering.

Pump can cause heavy steering but not light steering.

------------------

[This message has been edited by faldrich (edited 11-28-98).]

·
Registered
147 Posts
Dan,

I gutted my 72 Elky box, and put all the guts from a 88 TA box in it. The housings are the same (except metric) If you want to keep your steering ratio the same, just put in the control valve (very easy) and leave the rest of your oringal parts there. My Elky has the steering feel you are looking for. Click on my profile for a link to my website. I have a page on steering gear swaps, with pics. Its also in the tech ref
part of Team Chevelle.

Good Luck,
Jim

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have a 69 El Camino that had after-market a/c on it. The p/s was very sluggish (to large of p/s pully. Changed it to #3941107(smaller pulley) pulley and everything now works perfect. This pulley is 2 groove, but you may only use one of them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all for your input! I think Jimmy's idea is exactly what I want. His wed site info. for making the swap was very helpful and the cost should be minimal. A close ratio T/A steering box is about $50.00.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.