Team Chevelle banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, This is my first post and just bought a 67 chevelle ss (138) car and I really need info on on how to fit the original power steering (remote resevoir) and alternator configuration together. No matter how I install the pieces, there is no clearance between the units. Any ideas welcome.
Thnaks all

·
Registered
752 Posts
I had the same problem but my P/S is a repo set up and the brackets do not fit well at all I had to grind the rear power steering bracket to clear the alt, then I had to play with belt lenght to get it right. I just replaced all the brackets power steering and alt with original parts and fits perfect, the only thing I can tell you is the repop alt is a little off in the attaching bolt pattern and I think it is a little heavier in spots, the P/S lower bracket is very close to the orig BUT the rear bracket (the slotted one) is very different. the repop has a constant arc to it and the orig sart to arc flattens out and starts to bend again the flat spot clears the alt bracket. you can get it to work but everyone I have spoken to that converted to P/S had this issue and had to modify the brackets one way or another if you need I can send your a picture of the bracket I modified

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Tom for the info.. I will take another look. Apparently I have the repop brackets and will have to adjust them to fit.
Thanks again

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
You need to make sure the Altenator doesn't rest on the pump housing or hose to the resevoir. It puts pressure on the housing and can cause the hose nipple to leak.

It is tight in there but it does fit. You may need to fiddle with the Alt & PS belt length to get the right combo.

The leaky pump housing was the problem with my Chevelle when I first bought it. JB Weld to the rescue, hasn't leaked a drop in 15 years.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks a LOT for all the help. After the descriptions and pictures I think I can get things to work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts